from the worst to silky grey.

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

When I first bought the boat I thought the bottom was going to be the largest project on the boat, so I thought. It was a long weekend but I'm pretty proud of how the bottom turned out. It started out looking like a 100 year old house to having it media blasted, completely sanding the whole bottom with 80 grit, cutting out the catalina smile fixing it and fairing that area and the keel.
This weekend started with washing the bottom, then cleaning it with acetone, taping off the waterline and putting two coats of barrier coat.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Ron Hill

Dan : Looks like "you do good work"  !!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Thanks Ron

If I can ask a question now that it is barrier coated do you think it would hurt if I waited until spring to put the bottom coat paint on? When i go to put the bottom paint on do I have to sand the entire bottom again?
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Noah

Probably? What does the instruction sheet say?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Dan : If the instructions on the barrier coat don't mention when you can apply bottom paint- I'd call the barrier product company and talk to their Customer Service. I seldom sand.  I use TSP (like you use to clean your house paint)  I'm a firm believer that paint will stick to any CLEAN surface. Never have had a problem with that procedure.

What I did was to put a single coat of hard bottom paint on the barrier coat (contrasting color to the barrier color) and then I put on an ablative coat of bottom paint (of still a different color)  That way when the ablative wears you know where to paint or touch up!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: melp64 on September 13, 2023, 06:57:05 AM

do you think it would hurt if I waited until spring to put the bottom coat paint on?

do I have to sand the entire bottom again?

It depends on the condition of the barrier when you go to add finish coats.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Interlux/International Paint Interprotect 2000e barrier coat requires sanding prior to bottom painting if you wait for it to cure.
" ­
Max
­
"Note: Overcoating times will vary due to wide variations in temperature and humidity. The best method to determine when overcoating can begin is to use the "Thumb Print Test". If you can leave a thumb print in the primer, and not get paint on your thumb, the primer is ready for overcoating. Start testing the primer, 30 minutes after application, where you first started applying the primer. Continue testing every 15 minutes until the "Thumb Print Test" is passed, and then immediately begin applying antifouling paint. If the primer cures hard before it is overcoated, an additional coat of Interprotect 2000E can be applied, or the primer can be allowed to cure, and sanded with 80 grade (grit) sandpaper. Do not apply this product if humidity exceeds 85%, or if the temperature is above 95°F/35°"

That is why I said check instructions. Your brand may be different.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig