Alternatives to CD’s Utterly Useless Cabinet Latches

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

I can't get over just how poor quality are the cabinet latches sold by Catalina Direct. Of the four new ones I bought from them, two are completely unusable because the adjusting bolts don't screw in or out. A third fitted OK but lasted about 2 months before the pathetic dab of glue that holds the front piece on broke off.

Are there any decent alternatives to these expensive, useless items?
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI can't get over just how poor quality are the cabinet latches sold by Catalina Direct.

That may well be the case now but when I bought Shamrock two were broken, replaced them, that was over 15 years ago they are all still working good.  I did go over all of them with some McLube one drop and lube again when I notice sticking, probably every few seasons.  Can't say I really like them, but they are kinder to fingers than the stick a finger in a hole type when out sailing.
Have you contacted Catalina Direct?  I would expect them to at least replace the defective ones.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KeelsonGraham

Hi Jim,

Yes, they're going to replace them but I guess (in the absence of alternatives) I'll have to keep a few extra spares.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.