Stainless Outfitters Handi-Lift Outboard Motor Lift

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Does anyone have any experience with Stainless Outfitters Handi-Lift Outboard Motor Lift? https://stainlessoutfitters.com/products/marine/handi-lift/

Seems a lot of people are happy with the Garhauer LD6-1 OM Davit Lifting System, but the Handi-lift is a few hunder cheaper, and can be stowed.

Just wonder if anyone has one and what they think.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Ron Hill

pby : I store my Gauhauer lift in the Fwd hanging locker!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

My Gauhauer removes easy and sort of folds up to about 8 inches by 3 feet, if my memory is correct.  Easy to find storage for that.  Goes in my cockpit locker.  Takes as long to dig it from the locker as it does to assemble for use, about 10 min total, depending on the state of mess in the locker.  The PO installed it, ball socket on transom, hole drilled in stern seat, that's on a MKll.  I've sailed with it in place, but usually remove and store it. Works very well.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 07, 2023, 04:04:41 AM
My Gauhauer removes easy and sort of folds up to about 8 inches by 3 feet, if my memory is correct.  Easy to find storage for that.  Goes in my cockpit locker.  Takes as long to dig it from the locker as it does to assemble for use, about 10 min total, depending on the state of mess in the locker.  The PO installed it, ball socket on transom, hole drilled in stern seat, that's on a MKll.  I've sailed with it in place, but usually remove and store it. Works very well.
Jim

Yes the Gauhauer looks really nice.  It's expensive though.  The Handi Lift is rated to 120 lbs vs 150 lbs for Gauhauer.  The design shows why, but even a 20 hp engine is around 90 to 100 lbs.

6-8 hp which is what I'm considering for a 290-310 dinghy, and they are 60-70 lbs, well within the weight range of both, so I'm not sure it makes sense to spend the extra money.

Also, what arm size is right for a MKII, the 26 or 34 on the Gauhauer?

pbyrne

Would anyone have a picture of the 'ball' mounting location, so that I can get a better idea of placement?  Where the bracket goes on the pushpit would be good too.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWould anyone have a picture of the 'ball' mounting location, so that I can get a better idea of placement?  There the bracket goes on the pushpit would be good too.

The PO mounted the lift on Shamrock.  The bracket isn't used.  A hole is drilled in the stern seat the ball is directly below on the transom.  Will try to get a picture tomorrow.  He said the idea come from here, may be able to find with a search.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Gregory M

Never had a problem with SS outfitters, I have Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke .
Bracket is located on flat portion of transom, 8 years and running good!
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Gregory M

Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

pbyrne

Quote from: Gregory M on May 16, 2023, 05:39:13 PM
Never had a problem with SS outfitters, I have Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke .
Bracket is located on flat portion of transom, 8 years and running good!

Interesting!  The MKII has a rounder transition from top to stern which makes both options ....interesting... but good to see the SS in action.  Seems like a good piece of kit.  I've only got a 6hp too.

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 16, 2023, 02:44:22 PM
QuoteWould anyone have a picture of the 'ball' mounting location, so that I can get a better idea of placement?  There the bracket goes on the pushpit would be good too.

The PO mounted the lift on Shamrock.  The bracket isn't used.  A hole is drilled in the stern seat the ball is directly below on the transom.  Will try to get a picture tomorrow.  He said the idea come from here, may be able to find with a search.
Jim

Is this it? https://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=8503.0  I can't believe I found that...

What's the arm length, and is there anything needed to mount the ball on a curve like that?  Backing plate or..?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI can't believe I found that...

The search does work well.  Just a lot to search and do need to be specific.   
I use the 26 inch arm length.  For wider dinghy's the longer length may work better.  Think the dink may determine the best arm length.  If I remember correctly there's some adjustment (more holes) on the angle brace mounting that would change the effective arm length. For your other questions, will check.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 17, 2023, 04:08:06 AM
QuoteI can't believe I found that...

The search does work well.  Just a lot to search and do need to be specific.   
I use the 26 inch arm length.  For wider dinghy's the longer length may work better.  Think the dink may determine the best arm length.  If I remember correctly there's some adjustment (more holes) on the angle brace mounting that would change the effective arm length. For your other questions, will check.
Jim

Ok thanks! It's a Highfield 260UL.  About 5' 1" beam I think.

Jim Hardesty

Here are the pictures.  No backing plate on ball socket screws, washers and nuts.  No special spacer, would assume sealer.   The hole is cut just inside the pushpit tube.
Another message follows too many for one post.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

more pictures
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 17, 2023, 12:43:35 PM
more pictures

Thank you very much Jim.  Those are great photos.  I like the idea!  To be honest with the Princess seats and the transom slope I'm not sure what else would be a good fit.

Is yours the short or long version?