Bigger boat

Previous topic - Next topic

kh3412

Who doesn't want a bigger boat.
We all suffer from two foot envy.
Oh the extra room.
Two heads.
But then reality sets in for those of us in the north.
Paint the bottom, buff the side,and then wax them
Boy a Catalina 25 is sure looking good right now.

Just saying
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

waughoo

Know the feeling... moorage just went up and I was pretty happy my boat is only 34'!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Phil Spicer

kh, I've seen what you can do with a little epoxy, glass, gelcoat and some tools. Are you sure you could go back to
a 25? Better get a hard hat for that 25, and your new air unit...a lot to give up. Hope to see you soon
      Phil
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

kh3 : If I proposed such a thought - I'd have a Munity of my crew!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

High Current

Nah.  C34 is *almost* perfect for me (if only it had a full keel so I could just sail over all the lobster pots and worry a tad less about grounding).

Even then I worry I'm going to miss the maneuverability and ease of single-handing my old Hunter 25.  But not hitting my head all the time.  Or trying to fit 4 people + gear into that tiny space.  Or trying to cook in that "galley."  The list goes on.

Of course this is my first season with the Catalina.  Ask me again next year:)
Ben, #1050, 1990 Mk 1.5 std rig / keel

waughoo

I regularly single hand my c34.  I find it quite simple to manage with perhaps docking in a blow of the wrong direction on departure.  Spent Thursday and Friday evenings sailing with full canvas by myself in 11 to 15kts true.  It was pretty blissful!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

kh3412

I also would have a mutiny on my hands. The 34 is quite possibly the perfect size boat, my point was I just want the hull of a 25
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

rmjohns

My wife wants to go the other way with something big enough to have the island queen in the aft cabin. Catalina use to offer that in the 380, though maybe a little tight. Looks like Catalina has gotten away from large single aft cabins in their newer models. From the website, even the 445 has 2 aft cabins. Guess that's off the list.

I agree with others in thinking that the 34 is a great size. Not too big, not too small.

Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Ron Hill

KH3 : I would NEVER consider going back to the cramped 25ft interior space with NO shower and NO hot water!!

and in rough weather an outboard that cavates!!!

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788