outside wood trim replace or delete

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I disagree as to balsa core. The factory drawing and my personal experience replacing my own windows indicate solid glass on cabin sides vertical surfaces. At least that is my understanding/rememberance.
https://c34.org/wiki/images/3/31/Deck_Laminate%26Reinforcements.pdf
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Derek : The core of the deck and cabin top are PLYWOOD in the early MK1 C34s.!!  That why a C34s is so heavy!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ron- I you look at the C34 factory drawing (in my previous post) there is a addendum note in the table stating that sometime (in the mid-1990s?) they replaced the cabin top plywood with balsa. However, I think the cabin horizontal "top/deck" is the only part that is cored. Not the cabin sides. The drawing is not too clear (to me anyway) on that fact.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Factory section view of the area. It doesn't tell you what it is, but it has a core of something.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Hmmm? Hard to tell, but that "Typical" window replacement drawing is for a 2014 C30 MkIII. In any case, whether you fill the old holes with epoxy, and drill new ones for trim or putting in screws and finishing washers, or installing new trim, reusing existing holes — a little Sixaflex 291 in with the screws is not a bad idea.
Standard Rig

Jon W

The 2014 dwg is the clearer dwg of the two I have. Here's the 1983 dwg revised in 1996.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ted Pounds

You might consider replacing them with PlasTeak, https://www.plasteak.com/.  It gives the look of wood with zero maintenance.  I used it for the handrails, toerails, hatch slides, and coaming box trim on my Gloucester 19.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Noah & Guys : Dans 1987 C34 has a plywood core in the deck and the cabin top!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Okey dokey! THX folks! Seal the holes! BTW- I love my teak trim and varnish! My eyebrows were looking a bit "rough" after 7 years of slapping a coat on every year and with no sun covers,. So last month I hand scraped and sanded them to bare wood and reapplied 5 coats of Epifanse gloss varnish. They are now back and looking gooood! The eyebrows are one of the easiest spots to varnish on our boats, as they are a long straight line on smooth gelcoat, so very easy to tape off.
Standard Rig

melp64

Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do