Equipment needed to tighten keel bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Quote from: Noah on April 27, 2023, 04:12:54 PM
This worked for all my bolts.

Now that's what I can an extension! LOL  Is that 20"? 

Also, is that the socket that you referenced above?  I checked Amazon.ca, and it's there, but it's listed as 2" length?   That looks like a lot more that 2"....
https://www.amazon.ca/Sunex-2-Inch-8-Inch-Impact-Socket/dp/B002YKK7X4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Sunex+236xd+1%2F2-Inch+Drive+1-1%2F8-Inch+Extra+Deep+Impact+Socket&qid=1682695866&sr=8-1
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Noah

According to my Amazon order history from 2021, the socket I purchased from Amazon and successfully used, is the one I posted.  Whatever it says on decription, what I received is 4-1/4 deep. My longest keel bolt is 4 in.  Not sure about what Canada Amazon is serving up to you. The extension I have is probably 18in.?? Maybe more? A bit of overkill, but I didn't want to do this on my knees. Good luck. Again, measure your own bolts. Good luck.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

bpy : My keel nut socket is : Snap-on, 1 1/8" , SIML, 360, and it's 4 1/4" deep , 1/2" SD.  I use a swivel to a home made T bar that fits in to the swivel!!  Hope this helps

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Noah on April 28, 2023, 09:44:44 AM
According to my Amazon order history from 2021, the socket I purchased from Amazon and successfully used, is the one I posted.  Whatever it says on decription, what I received is 4-1/4 deep. My longest keel bolt is 4 in.  Not sure about what Canada Amazon is serving up to you. The extension I have is probably 18in.?? Maybe more? A bit of overkill, but I didn't want to do this on my knees. Good luck. Again, measure your own bolts. Good luck.

The amazon description is a mess.  They may be saying 'cm' when it should be 'inches'.  There is someone in the comments mentions the length to be '5" tall'.

Did the measurements for the studs today, and the longest is 4".  Aft 2 bolts seem to be 3.5".

I have no idea how to get to the 2 aft ones, or the even worse the forward keel bolt.  The are all, to varying degrees, under the floor! Who thought that was a good design idea?

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 28, 2023, 03:09:30 PM
bpy : My keel nut socket is : Snap-on, 1 1/8" , SIML, 360, and it's 4 1/4" deep , 1/2" SD.  I use a swivel to a home made T bar that fits in to the swivel!!  Hope this helps

A few thoughts

Do you use an extension, and just a T bar instead of a torque wrench..?

Ron Hill

bpy : my "T bar" is long enough that I don'r need an extension. I don't need a a torque setting at my age!!

107ft/lbs. is a LOT of torque - especially for a short "T" bar handle!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI have no idea how to get to the 2 aft ones, or the even worse the forward keel bolt.  The are all, to varying degrees, under the floor!

pbyrne,
On my MKll I can get to most of the keel bolts with extensions and torque wrench. And helper pipe, yes I'm old. After doing what I can with them, I have a good feel for what torque I need and use a breaker bar and helper and feel to get the rest. 
FWIW.  Common practice torquing up is to start at the center of the bolt pattern and work to the outside.  Start with 90% torque do the entire pattern, do again at 95% torque, then do again at 100% torque, then one last time at 100% torque.  That's how I was taught.  Takes a little longer but once you have done it once only need to recheck at 100%.  It took a couple of rechecks each spring till I got no more tightening.  Now I only check every couple of years and get no more. 
FWIW.  My "theory" on why some keel bolts need retorqued is that the keel bedding/sealer shrinks as it cures for the first few years.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Ok, job done.

Thank you to all here.  I couldn't have done it without your help.

In the end I used:
CT Torque Wrench with no pipe to extend.  It was close but I found a technique that made it doable.
20" extension.  This made it pretty easy to work with.
1/2" drive universal adapter
1-1/8" Sunex Deep Socket.  Absolutely critical.  Depth barely cleared the bolts.  Must have been a discount sale on keel bolts. Not sure why they are THAT long.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sunex-2-Inch-8-Inch-Impact-Socket/dp/B002YKK7X4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Sunex+236xd+1%2F2-Inch+Drive+1-1%2F8-Inch+Extra+Deep+Impact+Socket&qid=1682695866&sr=8-1

Basically, sit on the floor in a rowing position, put one hand on the wrench to extenstion 90 degree turn, other on the end of the wrench, and push and pull at the same time and row your way to 107lbs/ft.

The long extension makes this work.  A shorter one would have been brutal and likely would have needed something to extend the wrench.

Noah

Congratulations. How far out of torque were they?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

pbyrne

Quote from: Noah on May 30, 2023, 09:14:50 PM
Congratulations. How far out of torque were they?

I didn't check specifically, but they all needed around a half turn, and the aft most probably 1 and a half.  The washer wasn't compressed.