Equipment needed to tighten keel bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I was in the bilge the other day and noticed that the aft most keel bolt had more of a gap between washer and underside of nut than the other keel bolt nuts. 

Sure enough I could tighten that bolt with a cresent wrench.  Visually, the other bolts look better, but I think it's time to check them all.

I have a torque wrench that will go to 250 LBS/ft so getting to 107 ft/lbs (this is the correct number I believe), so I think I'm ready there.

However, I would appreciate confirmation of the parts I need to buy to be able to torque the bolts.

Socket: From this thread: https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7356.0.html
1 1/8" 6 point extra deep socket - 1/2" drive

Questions. For a 2000 MK II:
1 - What is the length of the extension needed?

2 - What is the depth of the socket needed?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Noah

Your equipment list is correct. However, depth of socket varies by boat due to length of bolt exposed. Also, add a cheate bar (3 ft. Length of pipe) to the list. 107 ft. lbs. takes more strength than you would imagine.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

pbyrne

Quote from: Noah on April 26, 2023, 09:44:31 AM
Your equipment list is correct. However, depth of socket varies by boat due to length of bolt exposed. Also, add a cheate bar (3 ft. Length of pipe) to the list. 107 ft. lbs. takes more strength than you would imagine.

Do you know how I should measure for the right socket?

Also, what do you think is a good extension length?

Noah

This is what I used and it worked fine. I would get a 24 in. piece of steel pipe to use as a breaker bar for added leverage.
Sunex 236xd 1/2-Inch Drive... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YKK7X4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Standard Rig

Noah

That extension might work. I would measure how far from keelbolt nut to clear above floorboards.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

pby : There is an extensive thread on this very topic right here on this message board!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

My socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ALXYOE

I don't know how long my extension is. I bought it from Harbor Freight.

I borrow a 250 ft-lb torque wrench from AutoZone every spring. No reason to buy one.

I always spray the nuts with PB Blaster before tightening.

When lifting the socket+extension out of the bilge, ALWAYS hold it with your hand. If  it falls off the torque wrench, you'll have a dent in your flooring.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

waughoo

Once I knew how long I needed my deep socket to be,I had someone with a welder make a crude deep socket by cutting an impact socket in half and welding in a section of pipe.  It looks like crap, but does what I need it to!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteOnce I knew how long I needed my deep socket to be,I had someone with a welder make a crude deep socket by cutting an impact socket in half and welding in a section of pipe.

That's what I had to do.  Some of my studs were too long for any socket I could find.  Here is a picture of my fine welding.
Hint, Used a piece of 1/2 inch all thread, nuts and washers to hold it together for welding.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

From anecdotal stories posted here, it could be possible that they left longer bolt heads exposed in the MKII than the MKI and/or there may be a difference in bolt length exposed in wing keel VS fin keel boats too?? That is why you measure first before assuming socket length.
Standard Rig

pbyrne

Quote from: Noah on April 27, 2023, 09:48:25 AM
From anecdotal stories posted here, it could be possible that they left longer bolt heads exposed in the MKII than the MKI and/or there may be a difference in bolt length exposed in wing keel VS fin keel boats too?? That is why you measure first before assuming socket length.

Interesting observation!  Mines a MK II Wing keel, and while I haven't measured them, I'd say that are around 5-6 inches at least.

Pic. Attached.  Note, the bildge doesn't look like that anymore.  I've scrubbed the heck out of it since.

Noah

This worked for all my bolts.
Standard Rig

Breakin Away

Quote from: Noah on April 27, 2023, 04:12:54 PM
This worked for all my bolts.
The loaner wrench that AutoZone has is about twice as long. No need for an extension pipe.

Not sure how the rest of you do it, but I get down on the floor and put my left foot against the head of the wrench, then pull the wrench handle with my right hand. The foot on the head helps prevent excessive side loads on the socket/extension. With a 2' long wrench it only takes about 54 lb. of pull on the handle to get to 107 ft-lb.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 26, 2023, 02:55:35 PM
pby : There is an extensive thread on this very topic right here on this message board!!

Ron, if you're gonna say something like this ^^^, please, oh please, back it up with a LINK to the "alleged" very topic.  Otherwise your suggestion is useless and not helpful.

To quote a frequent contributor: "A thought"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."