New fuel tank

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

The work on the new fuel tank has started. Moved it to where the aft water tank used to live and making it to use as much of the volume available in that area.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

mark_53

Planning a trip to Australia?

LogoFreak

LOL, no but I am planning a trip around Vancouver Island and there's plenty of motoring that is needed. Also in the long term plan are to sail to Mexico so the extra capacity is definitely a nice upgrade. Moving the fuel tank to the centre line will also help with the boat not having a port side list that annoys the crap out of me.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

waughoo

In the PNW, there are VERY few long straight runs to sail.  Also, being so far north, the tidal runs cause some FAST currents between the narrow gaps in the many islands.  As Antoni says, a lot of motoring happens up here.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Gregory M

LOGO, what will be your projected capacity ?
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Noah

Logo- things to consider in build if you haven't already.
1. Baffles
2. Clean-out ports
3. Extra pick-up tube (for diesel heater, etc.?)
4. Shutoff valve
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

To Noah's point, I saw recently on the Tally Ho build they had a drain at the lowest point (designed in) on the tank to drain away water.  I thought that was pretty slick.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Good idea. But unless Logo puts in some sort of access port (Beckson port or hatch), everything will be behind the aft bulkhead.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Yes... you're right Noah.  Pretty easy to reach for the few time you need it by lifting the cover under the aft berth and reaching aft.  A small access spot could be made there to get at the valve. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

Thanks Noah! All on the list, as well as a pickup at lowest point very close to bottom for a fuel polishing loop. With 55 gallons of capacity I won't be fueling up often the majority of the time so I want a way to make sure fuel stays clean.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179