Alternative to attach rode to chain

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I've got a rode and chain setup, and the thimble of the rode gets jammed in the bow roller on retrieval and as you probably know, it's bloody tricky to free it.

Other than bashing the thimble into something that fits more easily through the bow roller or weaving the rode into the chain, is there another mechanical connection out there that I could use? 

I'm not keen on rode directly on chain due to chaffing, so I'm leaning to giving the thimble a bit of a 'reshaping', but would rather have something that is closer to the diameter of the rode/chain in general, as even if I 'reshape' it it's still fairly large.

Thoughts?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jim Hardesty

If you have a 3-strand rope to splice to the chain do a rope to chain splice.  That's what I do and redo it every few seasons or when it looks like it's time.  At that time I end for end the rope.  Eazy to check for chafe, that is if the anchor is pulled up.  Google "rope to chain splice" and look at a few that resemble a long splice, that's what it looks like.  The only nice tool to have is a hollow fid.  Especially if the rope is not new. 
This is one of the simpler splices to do and if you don't like it cut it off and do again.  I would suggest go to K-mart get some 1/2 inch 3 strand nylon and some electrical tape to practice with. 
FWIW I trust the rope to chain splice over a thimble splice.  The thimble can be damaged or bent and quickly chafe the rope. 
Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

This is what it looks like after a busy season.  Probably anchored 40 times mostly 2 days at a time.  Thru some storms.  Note little to no chafing between the rope and the chain.  Good for another season.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Dave Spencer

I strongly support Jim's recommendation.  Splicing three strand rode is quite easy and Jim's recommendation to buy some cheap three strand for practice is great advice.  You'll become confident in no-time.  My rode looks exactly like the picture Jim showed n his post.  I "end for ended" my rode about 2 years ago and redid the splice at the chain.  I inspect for chafe almost every time the anchor comes up and have had zero issues in more than 12 years with the same rode.  We anchor out a lot; almost every night in in the summer sailing season and I never lose sleep worrying about my rode to chain splice. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

pby : When I got my braid on braid rode from Defender I had them splice in a nylon thimble on both ends of that 200 ft rode.  I've never had a problem coming thur the bale on the bow roller and the other end splice will allow me to end for end the rode after a few years!! 

I prefer the braid on braid to the 3 strand because it does NOT get stiff and has greater strength!!  Much easier to throw in a laundry mat washer to clean up!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

Or try the 8-plait rope that splices easily and lays down in the locker. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

waughoo

I have 8 plait for my rode.  Had it spliced onto the chain when I replace my ground tackle.  I do like how tame the 8 plait is vs three strand.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Fitch

You got me thinking about how I would maintain my new 8 plait rope to chain splice and New England Ropes has a PDF on how to do this.

https://www.neropes.com/fileadmin/user_upload/REV_Premium_8_Plait_Tapered_to_Chain__2020_Splicing__NER_ARK_Print.pdf

Jim Hardesty

QuoteYou got me thinking about how I would maintain my new 8 plait rope to chain splice and New England Ropes has a PDF on how to do this.

I'm not sure about using 8 plait rope.  I've never used it or tried to splice it, am concerned about splicing it after some use.  ie.  Turning the rope end for end.  I've read where it's not recommended to eye splice or any other splice in used double braid.  Soft, slippery and new line is recommended.  Of course, I have and wasn't really pleased with the results.  Yes, the splice looked ok but didn't quite make up like new rope does.  As it wasn't a critical use, I tightly sized the splice and used it.
Also there is my uncertainty how well my Gypsie would work with the 8 plait.  As I don't need to change my rode in the near future, I don't need to make that choice.  This is just my uninformed opinion.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : My braided anchor lines are not the normal braid on braid - they are a special "Sampson" brand braided Anchor line!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

8 plait should be fine in a windlass.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

Quote8 plait should be fine in a windlass.

On a drum, yes, on a Gypsie, not so sure.  I'd check the windless specks.  If I remember correctly, my maxwell manual doesn't list 8 plait as acceptable.  But that's a 2001, may be updated.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

lazybone

Lewmar prefers 8 plait for their windlasses.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

dfloeter

My Maxwell windlass gypsy handles the 8-plait with no slippage and the splice was easy.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ron Hill

My Lewmar gypsy handles my braided rode with no problem!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788