Cockpit folding table

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Sloan

This year's winter project was to replace the rickety old folding cockpit table which was basically falling apart. After searching for replacements and being staggered by cost, I decided to build my own. Searching for plans online proved fruitless so looked at a bunch of photos of examples on pedestals with similar dimensions to our boat and came up with my own plan.
Happy to share dimensions of the parts if anyone is interested. Would have saved me a bit of time and experimenting.
Stephen Sloan
Bay Port, Midland, Ontario
Georgian Wind
2000 C34 Mk 11
Hull #1463

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Pdbwraz

Looks awesome.   Would love to see/know the dimensions.
Thanks
Paul Bower
El Cinco
1986 C34 801
Cambridge, Maryland

Dave Spencer

Wow, that's nice work Stephen. I'll look forward to seeing it in person once we launch in 4 or 5 weeks.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

robbjd

Beautiful table Steven. Where did you have the etching done? I too would appreciate you specs for your table.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

lazybone

Very nice work.   What sort of wood did you use?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stephen Sloan

As promised, here are the parts and dimensions.
The wood for this project is cut from a single 12"X6' Sapele Mahogany board 3/4" thick. The etching on the leaves was done on a Epilog laser. 
Our pedestal has 1" tubes that are 9 1/2" apart centre to centre. I have 30" from the cockpit floor to the supports for the Binnacle - I will put the top of the assembled table just below this.
Main table 24"X11 1/2"
Table leaves  (2) 24"X5 3/4"
Table and Leaves are planed to 1/2"
Back board is 11.5" wide 13 1/2" tall with 2" legs that will rest against the pedestal tubes. The cutout between the legs is 8"wide x7"tall (this also allowed me enough extra material for the fiddles, cup holder and support brackets).
The cup holder is 4"x11 1/2" with 3" holes (Top) and 4 1/4" X 11 /1/2" (bottom is inset 1/4" into back board). The sides are 1 1/2"X4"
The fiddles are (2) 1/4"x21 1/2" (long ones) and (4) 1/4"x3 1/2" (short ones)
The support braces are (2) 11 1/2"wide x1"deep x 3/4"thick with half circle cut-outs of 1"x1/2" at 9 1/2" apart to fit the pedestal tubes.
Precise location of mounting screws tbd at installation in the next week or so. Will update this post with photo of installed table when complete.
Stephen Sloan
Georgian Wind
2000 C34 Mk 11
Hull #1463

Stephen Sloan

Here is the table installed.
I ended up re-using the stainless steel hinged clamp slides that held the legs of the old table as supports for the bottom of the legs on the new one then only had to use one of the wooden clamps with a 1/4" bolt (2.5" length) and a wing nut to secure the table to the pedestal.

Stephen Sloan
Georgian Wind
2000 C34 Mk 11
Hull #1463

waughoo

Looks REAL nice all installed.  Thanks for sharing the photos.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte