Holding Tank Monitor

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Hi Folks,

Am replumbing all the waste lines (at the request of my wife) and purchased a Snake River tank monitor system for the holding tank.  Just curious if anyone has mounted one, and how they affixed the aluminum strips to the tank, since ours is essentially encased in plywood.

Thanks!

Mike Vaccaro

Stu Jackson

Mike,  sorry about the obivous, but if you haven't

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=snake+river

I also recommend going to www.catalinaowners.com. Check out their Expert Forum on "Head Mistress" and use their Forum Archives under Snake River.  Lots of great material there.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Gardner

The "poop" is not supposed to be in the notes - it should be in the tank!

I installed the Raritan tank monitoring system this season, but I haven't yet been able to make it work.  Since it didn't work first time, I haven't really spent the time it takes to empty and fill tanks to try to find out what's going on.  Hopefully this winter.....

As to putting the strips in, this was my technique:  With the tank empty I was able to slide the holding tank as far forward as it would go, which left a little under 1/2 an inch between the aft side of the tank and the plywood "bulkhead".  All my work was done in this little space.  The bulkhead in my boat does not go all the way to the hull, and in fact stops a little above the lowest part of the tank.  I put a ruler down the end of the tank to measure its height, and then cut the sticky-backed foil to length (height of tank less 2 x 1/2 inch as I recall).

I'll try to post a diagram to show the next bit.  I attached a long piece of masking tape to the foil backing paper and doubled the masking tape back on itself so no adhesive was showing.  This would be the means of pealing off the backing paper.  Another small tab of masking tape allowed me to hold the bottom end down.  Now with a ruler between the long masking tape and the foil/paper, I was able to push the foil down next to the tank.  I was able to get my hand down the aft side of the bulhead to grab the masking tape tab.  Then pull out the ruler.  Make sure everything is correclty positioned, lined up, etc.  Then pull the long masking tape to peal off the backing paper leaving the foil to stick to the tank.  The ruler and a piece of rag shoved down pushed the foil against the tank.  

Difficult to describe, not too bad to do.  My biggest doubt about the whole exercise was whether the tank surface was "smooth" per instructions.  I could clean it, but could do nothing about the slight texture of the tank surface.  All I have to do now is make it work!
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

John Gardner

Don't know how I did that.  Here's the text without the picture.

The "poop" is not supposed to be in the notes - it should be in the tank!

I installed the Raritan tank monitoring system this season, but I haven't yet been able to make it work. Since it didn't work first time, I haven't really spent the time it takes to empty and fill tanks to try to find out what's going on. Hopefully this winter.....

As to putting the strips in, this was my technique: With the tank empty I was able to slide the holding tank as far forward as it would go, which left a little under 1/2 an inch between the aft side of the tank and the plywood "bulkhead". All my work was done in this little space. The bulkhead in my boat does not go all the way to the hull, and in fact stops a little above the lowest part of the tank. I put a ruler down the end of the tank to measure its height, and then cut the sticky-backed foil to length (height of tank less 2 x 1/2 inch as I recall).

I'll try to post a diagram to show the next bit. I attached a long piece of masking tape to the foil backing paper and doubled the masking tape back on itself so no adhesive was showing. This would be the means of pealing off the backing paper. Another small tab of masking tape allowed me to hold the bottom end down. Now with a ruler between the long masking tape and the foil/paper, I was able to push the foil down next to the tank. I was able to get my hand down the aft side of the bulhead to grab the masking tape tab. Then pull out the ruler. Make sure everything is correclty positioned, lined up, etc. Then pull the long masking tape to peal off the backing paper leaving the foil to stick to the tank. The ruler and a piece of rag shoved down pushed the foil against the tank.

Difficult to describe, not too bad to do. My biggest doubt about the whole exercise was whether the tank surface was "smooth" per instructions. I could clean it, but could do nothing about the slight texture of the tank surface. All I have to do now is make it work!

Posts: 43 |  Registered: July 14, 2002 Reply with QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Roc

I installed the Snake River tank monitor on the holding tank as well as the two water tanks a few years ago.  On the holding tank, I put the strips on the face of the tank that faces aft.  I know that section is an odd shape with one side being shorter than the other.  But I figured the most important aspect is to know when the tank is getting full.  So when the contents gets to a certain level, the strips will read correctly all the way up.  I installed the foil strips just like you would on a square tank, but on the one side, it ends up being shorter than the other.  No problem.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

John,

Thanks for the reply with the technique for sliding the tank--none of the previous message threads or technotes addressed just exactly how folks have tackled attatching the foil strips in the limited space available.

Cheers,

Mike

vmenasce

I installed the Tankwatch system in the holding tank. It gives a "Full" warning when the tank reaches within 2" of the top (approx 3/4 full).  It can be found at West Marine, and probably other places aswell. The only drawback is you need to drill a 1" hole in the top of the tank to install it. I installed it in the middle of February so there was no stink whatsoever. The sensor is a magnetic float which toggles a switch when the level rises in the tank.

I'm very happy with this simple reliable system. I've been using it for two years now.