Mast Rake

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Question for C34 racers with tall rig and std fin keel...

Any of you guys know approximately how much mast rake you are running???

I'm measuring rake by hanging a heavy object on the main halyard, and measuring distance from the mast at boom level...

I'm just curious to see what seems to be working for you...

Thanks for any and all replies...

Tom P

Mike Smith

Tom -

Try this article from the Projects section of the C34 Web page.

Mast Rake

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Mike & Jan,

Thanks for the reply and the link...

I'm familiar with the complete rig tuning process, having performed it on a few boats I've raced...And anyone who has done it properly knows it can be VERY time consuming to get everything dialed in since wind and  weather conditions must fully cooperate (little or no wind to set mast in column, 12 knots or so for sailing to check rig tension)...

I was hoping someone would/could break out their rigging notes and tell me how much mast rake they ended up with after following the procedure...I was going to possibly use this average to at least start "in the ball park", rather than starting off at zero rake and working my way aft...I also realize many factors effect rake (the type/cut of the sails, etc), but again I just wanted to see how much rake most are using, and see where I end up...

Thanks again for your reply...I'll let you know where my rake ends up if/when I get it right :-)
Tom P

Terry

Even thought I'm not a racer, I check the tension of our rigging in the Spring of each year.  I haven't adjusted it or the mast rake for a few years (Shadow's stored with the mast up).  And I have the boom off when I tune it.  But, at the base of the mast it rakes back approx. 3 inches.  And I am pleased with performance.  Except that I can't sail within 45 degrees of the wind direction - I'm at 50 degrees.  Really doesn't bother me; unless some of you tell me differently.   :)

Roc

Terry,
How would mast rake affect how close to windward you can sail?  My understanding is that mast rake affects weather helm, the more rake aft, the more weather helm.  Too far forward (less rake) could cause lee helm, so you have to get the right balance.  In about 10-12 knots, I can sail in the 35-40 degree range close hauled.  I have a wing keel, tall rig.

Tom,
To check for the correct (or best) mast rake, I would use weather helm as a gauge.  If you are getting too much weather helm in the 10-15 knot wind range, you have too much rake aft, so you might want to rake it alittle forward.  Then go out sailing again to check.  Keep doing this until you are satisfied with the feel of the wheel. Understand that as the wind builds and the boat heels more, you will feel more weather helm.  To do this excerise with setting mast rake, you need to test sail in consistent wind conditions so the variable of wind doesn't give you false readings.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Terry

Raking the mast aft moves the center of effort aft.  If the COE is too far aft, you will take away pointing ability. If it is too far upright, you may feel overpowered and you may be stalling.

I'm concerned about my pointing but I'm only raked a little.  My sails are original equipment so it might be that I should reduce my rake to compensate for the older sails (or the rigging has stretched and the rake is more than I think).  Regardless, this has helped me rethink my tuning for next Spring...

[This message was edited by Terry Schacht, #1060, 1990, "Shadow" on October 28, 2003 at 02:06 PM.]