Metal AC Duct Fittings?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

I'm replacing my old AC with a new one as well as the duct etc.  Having a tough time finding a plastic 6x6x4 wye but plenty of galv metal.  Any thoughts on using the metal fitting under the V-Berth to branch from the 6" main flexible insulated duct?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

I don't see a real problem using a galvanized fitting in this instance. The air going through the duct I guess is pretty dry. If you wanted to hedge your bets you could paint the fitting. I used this Rustoleum Universal Bonding primer (specifically listed to overpaint galvanized metal) to undercoat my anchor chain before painting colored chain length markings. It worked well.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

I was wondering how corrosion resistant the galv metal might be over time knowing the air would be pretty humid when the ac isn't running.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Gregory M

Bill, don't forget condensation! Cold air blowing through pipes/fittings, meeting warm/moist air on outside fitting. Ducts should be insulated!
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Gregory M on March 14, 2023, 06:20:34 PM
Bill, don't forget condensation! Cold air blowing through pipes/fittings, meeting warm/moist air on outside fitting. Ducts should be insulated!

I'll be using insulated flex duct and I intend to insulate the wye as well.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Steve McGill

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

MarcZ

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Bill Shreeves

Thanks Marc!

Steep price but, no worries about corrosion, and this is a big plus, it includes an adjustable diverter!  Shipping was an unreasonable $32 to boot but, it's the only place that has one so, I ordered one.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

When it's 100 degrees and humid outside this Summer, the price won't seem so extreme. 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

Especially on the Chesapeake where it gets pretty steamy in august!

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD