What to do with hatch boards

Previous topic - Next topic

tmac

On every boat I've ever owned I've been frustrated with where to stash the hatch boards after removing them from the hatch.  I know there are some manufacturers that actually have places designed to hold them, but no boat I've owned had this feature.  And some people have installed hinged doors, but I'm not a fan of those doors. 
As I was sitting here watching yet another snowstorm, I decided to solve my problem once and for all.  I happened to have taken my hatch boards home to refinish them and so I was able to use them as a template.  I built a wall-mounted holder (what else would you call it??) that will mount on the aft cabin bulkhead (the other side of the oven wall).  This might not work for MKII models - if I remember correctly you have a cabinet on that bulkhead, correct?

The holder has a sloped bottom that matches the angle of the hatch board sides, so the boards stay in place very nicely.  I divided the holder into two slots, which are lined with a thin rubber drawer liner material so that the hatch boards won't bang around while under sail. One of the photos shows just the central component of the holder without the sides attached.  Keeping the two boards separated will hopefully avoid scratching and chipping their finish.  To make it easier to slide the boards in, I made one side shorter, but still high enough to keep the boards in place while heeled over.
By the way - I haven't completed the staining/finishing.  It still looks a bit rough - but it will be presentable when completed...

I just thought I'd pass along the idea in case others were as frustrated as I was with what to do with the hatch boards.
Tom McCanna
Bayfield, WI , Apostle Islands 1988 std. rig C34, #818 M-25xp, wing keel
Lake Superior - No Sharks, No Salt

Noah

I have a custom-made two-pocket Sunbrella cover/pouch that I slide the boards into, then I stand them up alongside the companionway ladder with the ends resting on the engine box. Fits the space perfectly, with a nice and secure friction hold between the bulkhead and the ladder.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

tmac : Looks great.  FYI, I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article (1990s w/pictures) on my hatch board storage - inside the port side locker!!  Used some old pillow cases (tailored) as sleeves for protection!  They are easily excisable and don't take up much of the port side locker at all !!  They slide in the inside wall next to the cockpit vertically - smaller board first then the larger board and are held in place by a shock cord.  The articles has pictures!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

tmac

Noah - yes, I tried storing them next to the ladder.  Being a bit clumsy, I kept hitting my funny bone on them as I was climbing down the steps - especially when I was carrying something into the cabin.

Ron - That's another good idea.  However when it starts to downpour then I'd have to run out into the cockpit to get the boards. Its nice to just be able to quickly grab them from inside and mount them up.  To each his own!! 
Tom McCanna
Bayfield, WI , Apostle Islands 1988 std. rig C34, #818 M-25xp, wing keel
Lake Superior - No Sharks, No Salt

Jon W

FWIW - If seas pick up and water threatens to poop the cockpit, I want the boards easily accessible to me in the cockpit. I store mine in the port locker held in place by a couple of supports I made. Old photo's attached.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

I have a "hate" relationship with that port locker. It is so F-ing heavy and a PIA to get stuff in and out of, especially in a seaway or with cockpit cushions on it. I try not to have to go in there. :abd: but I do....
Standard Rig

tvorgitch

My boat came with these latches below the settee. I figured this was just a standard Catalina feature. They clip in and out very easily and are never in the way. I can get better pictures next week in anyone is interested.
Tom Vorgitch
Goose III
1993 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1235
TR/FK
M35
Ventura, CA

waughoo

These are great to see.  I have imagined some sort of storage for mine for all the reasons mentioned here.  Thanks all for sharing.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Breakin Away

My MkII has a teak "magazine rack" for storing the hatchboards on the bulkhead to port of the upper stairs. It's so perfectly fitted that I assumed it was OEM from the factory. Maybe not?

No pics right now - can provide them in a week or so.

FWIW, 4 or 5 years ago I sanded the hatchboards, applied wood brightener (oxalic acid) and then polyurethane spar varnish. They look great, but they're due again this spring.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

The owners of the J/120 I crewed on had the local canvas person fashion a pocket out of breathable, heavy mesh (instead of Sunbrella) that hung in the sail locker by (IIRC) Commonsense Fasteners. 

The neat thing was that alongside the weatherboards, the gizmo had an attached shallow "tray" of the same mesh that covered the top of the locker.  So it was nice and handy to be able to toss light things in there (gloves, ball cap, glasses) that would be safe yet easily/quickly retrieved.  Nothing critical was stowed underneath that mesh gizmo (wearing PFDs was mandatory by the race club so none were stowed in that locker) but if necessary the gizmo could be unbuttoned and pulled aside to access below it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Some interesting and innovative ideas but as for me I don't want to design, buy , build, or install anything I don't have to. I simply slide my hatch boards behind the seat back cushions in the settee one behind each cushion. They fit like that's what they were built for and they're not noticeable and easily accessible when needed.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Breakin Away

Here's some promised follow-up: I went to the boat today to retrieve the hatchboards for re-refinishing (you can see why in the picture). Here's the "magazine rack" style storage bracket. I thought it was factory installed - do any other MkII owners have it? When I bought the boat in 2016 the elastic bungee was cracked and ready to fail, so I immediately replaced that, but otherwise it's exactly like when I purchased the boat. (Yes, I normally have companionway stairs there, but I was working on the engine at the time.)

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

The stairs/ladder/engine box is different in the Mark 1s. It gives you more room to slide hatch board between the ladder and bulkhead. I don't have a pic handy with my boards stowed in their bag there,  but you can see the difference in room on the Mk1.
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHere's the "magazine rack" style storage bracket. I thought it was factory installed - do any other MkII owners have it? When I bought the boat in 2016 the elastic bungee was cracked and ready to fail,

Shamrock, a 2001 MKll has the same hatch board storage.  I've replaced the elastic bungee a couple times.  I bent up, like at a right angle, one hook on a hardware store bungee cord. That goes under the stair bracket and the other end hooks to the bungee holding the hatch boards.  Works good to hold up the engine cover.  Better than the club the PO used.  As I have a set of Zucor doors, the hatch boards are mostly stored never in the way.  Also made a holder for the Zucor screens/windows a simple plywood box affair that is held by the same bungee cord that holds the hatch boards.  Less than a minute to change screen/windows and restore.
FWIW on the other side of the stairs is where a couple of standard life jackets are kept, the ones used in the dinghy. They stay there well and when the Coast Guard approaches and asks to see life jackets they are right there.  I know, should be wearing.
Jim,
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stephen Sloan

Quote from: Breakin Away on March 19, 2023, 06:13:37 PM
Here's the "magazine rack" style storage bracket. I thought it was factory installed - do any other MkII owners have it? When I bought the boat in 2016 the elastic bungee was cracked and ready to fail, so I immediately replaced that, but otherwise it's exactly like when I purchased the boat.

Our 2000 MKII has the same storage bracket. I suspect its a factory install. I find it very convenient.
Stephen Sloan
Bay Port, Midland, Ontario
Georgian Wind
2000 C34 Mk 11
Hull #1463