Jabsco direct replacement head swap out tips?

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I'm going to be replacing the worn out head with a direct swap (I think) Jabsco Twist 'n' Lock manual marine toilet.  https://www.xylem.com/en-us/products--services/pumps-packaged-pump-systems/packaged-solutions/marine-toilets/twist-n-lock-manual-marine-toilet/

I'm not planning on changing the outlet waste hose, but will replace the transparent intake hoses.  Likely the vent line hose to the holding tanks as well.

I think it's a direct swap, but I wanted to see if there are any gotcha's or tips for a 'clean' installation?  Anything to be mindful of?

For the hoses, I was planning on using Trident XHD VAC White, because it's in stock! https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10036|10748|10738&product=74614169&code=Hose%20Waste%2058

Also, from what I've read taking off the hoses and putting them on can be difficult.  It seems that only hot water is recommended, so I'm assuming that light use of heat gun is out of the question?

YOU WILL need:
• 4 x 8mm (5/16") diameter stainless steel bolts of length to suit the
thickness of the mounting surface.
• 4 stainless steel nuts, preferably self-locking. If you do not use
self-locking nuts you will need some nut-locking compound.
• 8 large stainless steel washers not more than 21mm (13/16") diameter.
• A small tube of white silicone sealant.

YOU WILL need:
1. Spiral reinforced smooth bore flexible hoses for both the 19mm
(3/4") id inlet and the 38mm (11/2") id outlet pipework
2. Two stainless steel worm-drive hose clips for every hose tail
connection (4, 6 or 8).

2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Noah

If you have decided to replace yours with another twist n Lock head, consider just replacing the complete pump assembly and reusing the bowl. Might be worth a cost benefit study? I did that successfully years ago, until I finally went to the expensive "dark side" and installed a Raritan Marine Elegance electric head.   8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

I would do as Noah says.  The bowl is going to be the same and you don't really get a lot of value replacing it just for sport.

That said, I went to a raritan superflush residential bowl unit.   It is a much better pump and the size of the bowl is VERY welcome. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Problem is the bowl is cracked.  Other wise I'd spend the money on an electric conversion instead!  Photo is from the beginning of season on the hard... usually looks better! :D
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte