question about funktion

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

Hello everyone, can any of you tell me what the function of the small metal tap at the bottom of the water collector (I think your call if muffler) is?

edit: on the right side, the small one
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Dave Spencer

Hi Holger,
The small metal tap is a drain to allow water to be drained from the muffler. This might be used if preparing the boat for winter or if the engine failed to start after extended cranking and the muffler became too full of seawater.
I have one also but have never used it. I run lots of antifreeze through the cooling system when preparing my boat for winter to ensure water sitting in the muffler can't freeze and crack the structure.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Hardesty

Holger,
Just to expand on Daves' explanation.   The way I remember owner's manual says to drain the water lift muffler if the engine fails to start after being cranked for 2 minutes.  That's to prevent water backing up into the engine.  FWIW I chose to drain the muffler after winterizing and I have the direction to open the valve marked on the muffler. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Holger Dieske

... Ah understand. drain water. I don't freeze in the Mediterranean, but after running the starter engine for a long time without starting, the water collector can fill up and water "rebounds" which would be fatal for the engine.

thx for the help

Holger

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Ron Hill

Hogler : That drain is incase you crank the engine for 2 minutes and it doesn't start!!  While cranking you are turning the raw water pump and that water is filling into the muffler!!  Eventually that water could back up into the cylinders.  So you are instructed to drain the muffler.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

WTunnessen

Its also pretty easy to replace if its corroded and/or broken. Catalina Direct should have the replace part.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : Don't go to EXPENSIVE Catalina Direct when you can get an identical replacement at any auto parts store !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

.... Thanks. I hope so. I don't want to have the part sent thousands of kilometers to Europe and will look for it here.

Ron Hill

Hogler : Those petcocks are common items. You already have 3 of them on your C34  - on the engine thermostat housing; the water heater and the muffler drain!! 

On autos they are usually in the bottom of the radiators for drains.  They are either 1/4 or 1/8 inch tapered thread.

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

Breakin Away

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 06, 2023, 02:16:12 PM
Hogler : Those petcocks are common items. You already have 3 of them on your C34  - on the engine thermostat housing; the water heater and the muffler drain!! 

On autos they are usually in the bottom of the radiators for drains.  They are either 1/4 or 1/8 inch tapered thread.

A few thoughts
FWIW, my 2001 MkII has a different peacock design on the Aqualift muffler than the other two. Auto shop replacement probably would not be compatible.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

Yeah mine are different too. Mine is 1/4 in. But they also come in 3/8 in. Probably any valve would work. Easy to epoxy and retap hole if need to.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : Some drains might have a different designed petcock, but the all have a tapered pipe thread and do the same function!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on March 06, 2023, 04:42:57 PM
Yeah mine are different too. Mine is 1/4 in. But they also come in 3/8 in. Probably any valve would work. Easy to epoxy and retap hole if need to.

The picture Noah posted (the Catalina Direct petcock) is a much-improved brass valve compared to the typical auto parts store steel version (OEM, as pictured on Holger's muffler.)   if you can get that from an auto parts it is well worth it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Holger Dieske on March 03, 2023, 01:44:10 AM

Hello everyone, can any of you tell me what the function of the small metal tap at the bottom of the water collector (I think your call if muffler) is?

edit: on the right side, the small one

@Holger

Ein Bild kann tausend Worte ersetzen.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain