Epoch Batteries 10% Discount code

Previous topic - Next topic

mainesail

For those interested I have secured a 10% discount for Epoch LiFePO4 Batteries. By far the best constructed, featured, priced and  ABYC compliant batteries we've found. This discount was intended for readers of Marinehowto.com and Boat Electrical Systems but, I figured Let you guys know too.

Please email me for the discount code: compassmarineservices at gmaildotcom

EPoch Batteries

Oh and my friend Ben Just published an article on these after I turned him onto them..

Panbo- Epoch
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

senorquill

Quote from: mainesail on March 03, 2023, 06:28:38 AM
For those interested I have secured a 10% discount for Epoch LiFePO4 Batteries. By far the best constructed, featured, priced and  ABYC compliant batteries we've found. This discount was intended for readers of Marinehowto.com and Boat Electrical Systems but, I figured Let you guys know too.

Please email me for the discount code: compassmarineservices at gmaildotcom

EPoch Batteries

Oh and my friend Ben Just published an article on these after I turned him onto them..

Panbo- Epoch

I wouldn't necessarily say "by far" the best. Renogy Batteries are very similar and better in some aspects; you get 10% discount, making them about $50 more; but Renogy does free shipping and Epoch doesn't so cost is about the same.

The first is the size of the battery, you can fit 4X Renogy's under the Sette vs 3x Epochs.
Renogy's are 11.4x6.8x7.4
Epoch's are 10.6x 13.22x10.23

Second is Cycles:
Renogy 4000+ @80% DOC
Epoch 3500+ @80% DOC

Third is weight, but that is almost moot:
Renogy 26lbs
Epoch 33lbs

Fourth is Hibernation mode:
Renogy discharge is <100ua
Epoch discharge is <400ua

Fifth is number of batteries in Parrell, not that you could do this on a Catalina 34:
Renogy 8 batteries
Epoch 4 batteries

Lastly is the protections:
Renogy has 20 protention features
Epoch has 6 protection features.

Note- The Epochs has a better warranty at 11 years vs 5 years. No clue which company actually honors their warranties or just finds an excuse to say it's your fault. I some how doubt after 10 years epoch will give you a refund, since they won't be making that battery in 10 years, same goes for Renogy.

MQ
MQ

mainesail

Renogy is one of the most despicable companies in the industry with absolutely horrible customer service btdt. They don't make their batteries they just stick a logo on them. They also use cheap pouch cells which I would not personally install on a boat..The Epoch battery is also made by a manufacturer who makes everything from the cells to the bms to the cell compression to the case. They are not buying cells from one company a BMS from another etc..Comparing the Epoch to Renogy is funny. I will give credit to Renogy in that they are good at marketing.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

senorquill

LOL. They are not that bad at all. Renogy has been around since 2010, Epoch since 2019. Renogy Solar panels find their way to the top of most solar panel reviews for boats. I can't even find Epoch in a review for Lithium batteries. I'll let you know if mine do catch on fire, but i think they'll be fine.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/review/solar-panels-for-boats/
MQ

mainesail

And you own a business that wires or wired boats professionally for a living and have witnessed Renogy's insanely high failure rate and have tried to deal with them, warranty wise, on these failures? I am not speaking on a n=1 basis...

This was installed by a colleague for one of his customers This stud snapped off before torque spec was attained.Turns out the stud was hollow.. Never did get any satisfaction from Renogy even when he sent a photo of his 1/4" snap-on torque wrench.. One has to wonder how much they save by using a hollow stud?

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

Noah

MQ- I don't have a dog in this fight but I trust Mainesail opinion and experience over Sail Magazine's advertising department:
As the article's disclaimer (below) stated, it was not written by their magazine's editorial staff.

" By SAIL Magazine Review Team-
SAIL Magazine Review Team reports on best-selling products in sailing and boating. The SAIL Magazine editorial staff is not involved in the creation of this content. SAIL Magazine is reader-supported: When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission."
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

senorquill

That was just an example for their Solar Panels, has nothing to do with the batteries. I'm not an electrician but I can research tech stuff and I do that for the Air Force. There are many other options out there beside the 2 in this thread, so you should do your own homework.

Rengoy and Epoch battery cells are both made in China. Which manufacture is better, I have no clue. Epoch, gets cells from EDG Sales International in Zhongkai High-Tech District, Huizhou, Guangdong, China. Renogy gets them from Hefei, Anhui, China.

From the pics, the Epoch batteries look way tougher, like the casing, etc... I don't need that since my batteries are inside the boat in a box.  Epochs are Prismatic as opposed to Pouch, as pointed out by mainsail earlier. Prismatic cells are more inclined to "Explode" due to the metal casing. Pouches are less inclined. Pouches are also the reason the Renogys are smaller and light. That's how Apple is able to make iPhones, Watches and Laptops so thin. As for the quality of Renogy Pouches, they are certified, etc..., but only time will tell.

All I was trying to say was "By Far" better than any other battery seemed overzealous. Neither Renogy or Epoch are dominated the market right now, LOL.

I got to run, going sailing. Be back Monday.

MQ
MQ

mainesail

Quote from: senorquill on March 03, 2023, 12:43:53 PM
That was just an example for their Solar Panels, has nothing to do with the batteries. I'm not an electrician but I can research tech stuff and I do that for the Air Force. There are many other options out there beside the 2 in this thread, so you should do your own homework.

Can you share these "many others"? FWIW I have been doing my homework in LiFePo4 since 2007 and built the bank for my own boat in 2009 well before drop-in batteries were even conceived. I was a founding member of the ABYC L-Ion battery subcommittee, have done consulting work for Genasun, Lithionics & Mastervolt to name the ones I don't currently have an NDA with....

QuoteRengoy and Epoch battery cells are both made in China. Which manufacture is better, I have no clue. Epoch, gets cells from EDG Sales International in Zhongkai High-Tech District, Huizhou, Guangdong, China. Renogy gets them from Hefei, Anhui, China.

Neither of those statements are correct. EDG is the US company that owns Epoch. That is nowhere close to where Renogy procures their "smart batteries" and Hefei is a city. At this point in time all LFP cells are Chinese in origin though within about 12 months there will be a new factory online in the US.

QuotePrismatic cells are more inclined to "Explode" due to the metal casing.Pouches are less inclined./quote]

I anxiously await the data to back either of these two claims.  I was recently hired as an expert witness by an an insurance company in a case where pouch cells were torn by their fixing jig inside the battery. Not LFP but still pouch cells.

QuoteAll I was trying to say was "By Far" better than any other battery seemed overzealous. Neither Renogy or Epoch are dominated the market right now, LOL.

Of course not Epoch are new and were purposely designed to solve previous issues.. Li Time  are currently the #1 selling LFP battery due to price. You can always find cheaper but you will be hard pressed to find a better constructed or better value battery.. I welcome you showing use a battery that checks all the boxes the Epoch does for less money. I wish you luck with your Renogy batteries and cross my fingers that you never need customer service or support.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T