Balmar Serpentine Belt Kit

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Thanks Rod, Yes, both the new Crank pulley and the existing crank pulley have 3 holes.

I had to go check a pic of the engine and check the pic from Balmar.   :shock:
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

Rod, would you have the model # of the Alternator that I purchased from you?
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

mainesail

It was most likely a CMI/AMP-It 105-ER? Without your email or last name I have no way to look it up. Is it silver, black or white??
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

waughoo

Brit...

Checking in on your project.  I am super curious about how it is going.  I am about to purchase my ws500 regulator.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

britinusa

Update.
The kit arrived complete.
I was able to easily remove the Coolant pump pulley.
Could not remove the Alternator pulley - took it to a shop that replaced it with the new one
Was able to remove the out pulley from the crankshaft ( not used or required ) but new pulley would not fit over the old pulley as per the design.
Removed crankshaft pulley took it to a shop and had them turn it so that it would fit.
Everything installed and found that the belt with the kit was too long ( alternator would stick out of the access door in the head)
New belts are on their way.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

waughoo

I have heard of many of the challenges you experienced with other people that have installed it.  I am impressed you got the front pulley off.  I have always imagined that to be "rusted" in place.  I am specifically curious to know about the clearance at the water pulley to the front steps and engine cover.  This has always looked too close for a serp belt conversion.  Let us know how it goes.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Hi Paul, I get an error when I clink on the link to your blog posts you provided in reply #10. Can you take a look at it? Thanks.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

Fixed :)

Finally got the new belt and pulleys installed.

I had an issue with the supplied belts being too long, the Alternator would protrude out of the access door in the head.

Balmar offered to replace the 42" belts with 41" belts. Instead I got them from V Belt Guys for about the same including less shipping than I would pay to return the originals to balmar and back.

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

waughoo

Great news!  I want to see some pictures if you can.  I really want to do this upgrade.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte