LPG

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Quoteaccording to the marina there is only one supplier in Michigan and its in Detroit, across-ed the state.

I for one would not trust "according to the marina", would do my own research.  There's a lot of 70s 80s boats out there that were built to use CNG.  You may try calling around to welding gas and commercial suppliers.  Around here some city busses and school busses use it, so it's not that rare.  Although sure to use different fittings.
On a different note, I've had many a fine meal on a rail mounted barbeque or electric frying pan.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Many years ago 1990??  I wrote an article for the Mainsheet tech note where I made a new propane box BOTTOM - so it would accommodate a 10 lb. propane bottle.  I used all of the same parts the were in the box for a 1 gallon (4#) bottle.  Still using that same box today!!

Dan : There is a new orifice that can be installed in your stove so it will burn propane instead of CNG. Contact your local propane dealer and they should be able to help you. Look over Propane Boxes on the internet and you should be able to find one that can be vented thru your aft transom.

There have been many C30s/C34s/C36s that converted to propane (from CNG) when they decided to travel south to the Bahamas for a year!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Many of the city buses and fleet vehicles here in San Diego use CNG.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

The link that Craig provided takes you to a Practical Sailor article with an imbedded link to a cng location/price map across the country for trip planning. Michigan has more than one, check it out there may be one closer to you. I went though a similar process last year when I needed a refill and tank retest. The marina I used to source from stopped doing tank swaps. Luckily I found a gas supply company that also does testing and they also pointed me to refill site along a major highway in MA, not far from my house. Just needed to make an appointment as it is not manned. Someone travels to it on a schedule to do refills.
Good luck,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

melp64

Thanks Noah when you said that the buses where CNG I remembered that Grand rapids has buses that are CNG, Pacific pride which is owned by DTE has a filling station just outside of the city. I haven't been able to talk to them yet but I will this week, as I am wondering if they have the adapter to fill a tank. My next thing I need is a tank from the videos I've seen it looks like a welding tank so I'm thinking I could by one from a welding store. Some of the videos I watched said that a tank would last between 20-30hours of cooking. I'm really glad as I really like the looks of the stove that is on the boat, I don't think it was hardly ever used. It looks brand new.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

waughoo

Outside of the challenges of refilling, CNG is a great choice on a boat.  It lasts way longer than LPG and the lighter than air effect solves a number of safety concerns.  Once you get it set up and you get used to the filling routine, I suspect you will like it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

Update  I spent the week calling all the places that said they were CNG refilling stations, every place that might have CNG and any place that would carry a tank that could be used FOR CNG. I came up with a big fat zero. If its that hard to find a tank let alone a place to fill it, that system has to go. This is definitly not something I was planning on changing as the stove looks like it has never been used. Maybe it never was used because they never found the gas to run it.
So the next question I would ask is what type of stove do most of you guys have on your boat. Propane or electric. I like the idea of electric as someday I plan on putting solar on the boat. I think Propane would be the easiest but probably the most costly.
Dan

waughoo

Unless you're in the tropics with a ton of solar and a wind generator or plugged into a dock all the time, I can really advocate going with an electric stove.  The propane stove option might be the best way to go.  You could also get a butane gas burner and use that as a temporary till you can sort out your plan.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

On my 1987 I have the Hillerange model 2122 propane oven/stove combination which I believe is original. Ron had a great point about changing an orifice to convert CNG to propane. If you are able to do that you'll have avoided the biggest cost item in the system. If you build your own locker and buy your own tank(s), the cost for the switch, solenoid, regulator and hoses isn't that much.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI've had many a fine meal on a rail mounted barbeque or electric frying pan.

I stand by that.  Maybe add an electric or butane hot plate to heat soup and make coffee.  Sometime in the future you may decide a stove is necessary, buy it then.  For now make a good cover for your stove top to use the hotplate on.  Adds good counter space.  I found a walmart cutting board just the right size, fastened 3 legs to the bottom to hold in place on my stove.  I use my Keurig coffee maker on it, stove gimbled, plugged into inverter, while underway.  It's great.
Your boat, your choice.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

Contact Sure Marine Service in Seattle, WA.  They sell/provide the service of converting a range from CNG to LPG.  Last I checked (about 2 years ago), they still had the ability to provide this service.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

I will probably be in Seattle between thanksgiving and christmas. maybe I could check that out.
Dan

Ron Hill

Dan : What came OEM from the Catalina factory is a stove w/oven that either burned CNG or propane.

Like I said the only stove/oven modification to change over is different orfices .

a few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Ron... it is more complicated than that.  The oven valve has to be completely replaced from one to the other.  I bought a CNG stove as a donor to replace my damaged stove.  I had to switch over the orficases as you said, but also the entire oven control and its associated bits and pieces.  It wasn't terribly hard, but it isn't as simple as you make it out to be.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte