Balmar Serpentine Belt Kit

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

The thin Alternator support Arm on our 1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel's  M25-XP Universal Engine broke.
I had a new support arm manufactured by a local engineering shop.

Now I feel that it's time to replace the V-Belt with a Serpentine belt, I'm very impressed by the improvements my sailing buddies have experienced on their, different, boats.

Looking at the Balmar 48-USP-M25  Pulley Kit.
I have checked and there is plenty of room between the front of the alternator, crank shaft and coolant pump pulleys to fit the wider serpentine belt pulleys and I can get all of the pulley bolts loosed except for the Alternator which I plan to take to a local alt shop and have them pull the old pulley off and install the new one.

The only question I have is: Is this the correct sized kit? ( Balmar 48-USP-M25 Pulley Kit)

TIA.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : Why not ask Balmar ? your question/s  @ 1-360-435-6100      I've had many a conversation with them - great people to get answers from!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

waughoo

Please let us know your results.  They have a kit for the m35 (what's in my boat) and I would love to try it.  There is less available room unfortunately with the m35.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Paul,

I'm not really sure what advantage there is switching to a serpentine setup. The original idea was to replace the 3 or 4 belts required on big highly optioned V8s with one master belt. Since the M25 has only one belt you're basically swapping one belt for another and I don't think that serpentine belt would be doing much serpentining.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Better grip and more surface area used with high amp (100A+) alternators?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

As Noah says with no belt dust.  It is just a ridiculously better system than a V belt.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Noah,

I have an uprated alternator (95amp) belt grip and surface area seem to be adequate for the task. I just don't see a need for a serpentine setup, to me it comes under the heading if it ain't broke don't fix it. As always your boat, your choice.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Kevin-It was Paul asking about a serpentine belt. I am happy with my V-belt with my 95A small case, externally regulated, alternator. I was just explaining why some folks with bigger alternators  (100A+) might opt for a serpentine belt set-up to drive them.

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Noah.  I have a down controlled (to 95 amps) Balmar. (When it was rebuilt they put in a 120 amp stater - "bigger is always better - right!?!").

The biggest contributor to "belt dust" I've found is alignment between the water pump and the alternator pulleys.  Also using a good grade belt!!  I like Gates brand.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

The 'Why'

Belt dust despite great efforts at alignment.

Our alternator ( purchased from Maine Sail ) is a Balmar 100A, we had it serviced a couple of years back and the shop ran it up to 140Amps, it's powerful.

We have a Balmar MC 618 external regulator and have it throttled down to 75% to keep the load down to prevent squealing despite keeping the belt tension set appropriately.

I'm about to install 300Ah of LiFePo4 batteries and they can suck up the power ( hence the MC 618 ) but I'll be happy to fill the new batteries when we run the engine.

I have upgraded our electrical system substantially over the past year, a full Victron System, with the intent of replacing the Lead Acid Batteries which don't last very long here in SoFla.

Here's a link to my blog posts that show what we have done.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Just spoke with Mike at Balmar ( thanks for the ph# Ron )

The Balmar 48-USP-M25 is the appropriate Serpentine Belt Kit for the Universal M25-XP

:)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

waughoo

You are on the same path as I am albeit further along.  When you get your pulley kit, please post pictures.  I am very keen to see one in a C34.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

mainesail

Quote from: britinusa on February 13, 2023, 07:14:41 AM
Just spoke with Mike at Balmar ( thanks for the ph# Ron )

The Balmar 48-USP-M25 is the appropriate Serpentine Belt Kit for the Universal M25-XP

:)

Paul

Only if your crank pulley has the three tapped holes in the front.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/