Fridge

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

does anyone of you know the volume (how many litres) of our refrigerators on the C34?
Has anyone of you ever improved/reinforced the insulation?

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Ron Hill

Holger : Look in the Mainsheet Tech Notes  (back in the early 1990s - May 1990) I wrote an article about adding insulation around the fridge box. 

I used 3 1/2 inch foil faced wall insulation to the outside under the sink area.  I added a piece of 1/2 inch foil faced Styrofoam to the outside behind the settee back cushion and added a thermal pad on top of the opening cover.  I also sprayed expanding foam between the box and the starboard hull.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Breakin Away

Sorry, I'm coming to this topic late. In addition to improved insulation, I'd recommend some additional weatherstripping around the edges of the lid. I had a lot of condensation on my cold plate, and over a few years came to suspect that the original weatherstripping around the ledge had become matted down. I was never able to find a suitable substitute, so instead I added some relatively thin foam around the underside of the lid. The lid rode high for a couple weeks, but over time settled in, and since then there is virtually no condensation on the cold plate.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

senorquill

Justing jumping in with what I did for my fridge.

I removed the boat fridge compressor and turned the galley fridge into dry storage for extended trip. I bought a Dometic CFX3 75-liter fridge and initially installed it into the aft berth. I converted my aft berth into purely a storage area since I never slept in it and need the storage. The advantage of the Dometic is it has 2 sides that you can turn each side into either a freezer or fridge depending on what you need. Plus, it's Bluetooth, insulated better, more power efficient, has LED lights in it, and is easier to access food and clean. The downside is the space it takes up. Right now, I have moved it onto the Port Side seat up against the forward bulkhead. My intention is to build a table top on it for more room to work on stuff, since I never sit in that spot anyway so it's wasted space. It's also much more convenient to access in that spot. I'll send pics when complete, right now it's a giant eye sore.

https://www.amazon.com/DOMETIC-75-Liter-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/dp/B09FS4YJ8F
MQ

Ron Hill

Guys : We did similar to the above post.  We've turned our fridge in to a freezer fridge with the thermostat turned down.  We got a good ice chest and put all of our drinks and maybe other items so to minimize the number of times that you need to open the top.  The small fan inside keeps the temp fairly equal inside and the thermal pad on top of the hatch door does wonders!!  That pad is the size of the counter top over the fridge. 

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788