Forestay Chainplate / Stem Fitting Cracked

Previous topic - Next topic

ptidwell

Catalina 34, Hull 929, Production Year 1989

I noticed a crack in the forestay stem fitting similar to the one described by this post: https://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=6250.0 and asked a rigger to have a look at it as part of a general safety inspection.  She noted it should be repaired and referred me to a local weld shop in Ballard (Monkey Fist Marine).  They had a look and told me not to sail the boat until it is repaired.  At $125 per hour, they estimated it will cost from $2500 to $3000.  (or just 3 boat bucks).

After inspecting the stem fitting and chainplate today, it appeared to me that it may have been defective. It appears the metal chainplate strap is about 3 to 6mm too long leaving the stem fitting lifted off the deck.  See image. 
(https://photos.app.goo.gl/g1q3hVd1a2jsN7ug6)

In the image I drew red lines showing the current angle of the fitting, and green to show the angle that look more correct and would direct the force in a way that would not apply stress to the stem fitting.

Has anyone seen this before?  Does the price and urgency seem right?  Does my observation about the chainplate being a bit too long seem valid?

Cheers!
Paul

Soliton, #929

Ron Hill

Paul : Please list you Hull # and production year. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ptidwell

Soliton, #929

Noah

How about a pic from the front? Has the assembly levered off/up where it attaches to the bow "V" vertically as well?  The crack you show we have seen similar to where yours is here on the website before. Search site for more info.  But, I am not sure about it pulling up off where it is bedded to the deck? Is it leaking into deck there? 
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Fitch

Paul -

Call Garhauer.  They'll make you a better stronger one with the correct angle so it isn't being peeled away and it's not that hard to install.  Just try not to drop the backer washers on the inside of the hull down inside as you pull the bolts.  I had to send them the old one but I think they turned it around in less than a week.  I think it was between $200 and $300 in 2020 but I'm not sure.  I ended up with a little bit of gap underneath the part the would rest on the deck but I just filled it all with epoxy thickened with one of the fillers and it came out great.

Jim