Oil Pan

Previous topic - Next topic

senorquill

Gents,

Oil pan is looking rough, has been for years. Where is a good sorce for a new one? I don't see them on Catalina Direct.

Also, can you replace with engine mounted? or, dop you need to pull it?

V/R,

MQ

1987 Catalina 34
M25XP
MQ

mark_53

Try Kubota dealer or Westerbeke. I believe someone did remove the oil pan without raising the engine.  Required skinny arms.  Getting it back in with the gasket aligned is another matter.

glennd3

Might be a job worth a wait. The inside will not rust, soaked in oil. I think it may be a job that leads to other issues, such as engine alignment.

Sorry just read your other thread, seems to be toast.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

MQ There have been posts about removing the oil pan without removing the engine.  Removing the engine to in front of the galley/salon is not that difficult with a chain hoist.  Then you can remove the oil pan.

How you fix the leaks is another matter.  Never heard of it being done, but welding a plate to the inside might be an option or maybe trying to cover the inside area with epoxy might work??  Don't know if the metal and epoxy have incompatible heat expansion rates??

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: senorquill on January 26, 2023, 10:10:33 AM
Oil pan is looking rough, has been for years. Where is a good sorce for a new one? I don't see them on Catalina Direct.

1987 Catalina 34
M25XP

@MQ

PM me (or preferred use the email link) if you need a replacement pan.
You DO NOT want to buy one from Westerbeke -- they are about $700 boat bucks for an M25XP.

Cheers,
Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain