Weep hole

Previous topic - Next topic

senorquill

My weep hole is dripping way to much on the raw water intake pump. Anyway to slow that down?

1987 Catalina MK1
M25XP

V/R,

MQ
MQ

rob herron

time to rebuild/replace.
Panacea # 1491
2000 MkII Std rig, wing.

Jim Hardesty

Yes, Time to rebuild/replace.  Start here

https://marinehowto.com/rebuilding-a-raw-water-pump/

There's also a lot of information here, think it would take hours to search it all.  A few years ago rebuilt mine, the people at Depco were very helpful.  Was a simple enough job with a good vice and work bench.
On an unrelated topic see the Support Maine Sail post here. It's great that he is keeping his website up. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Seno : That's why the weep hole is there!! to let you know that the water seal is leaking!!
You need to replace the water lip seal in your Oberdoffer.  Look in the Mainsheet tech notes for my article on "How to do that replacement"!!  You also need to look for scaring on the inside of the face plate while it's off!

Jim's site is OK, but it looks at a generic water pump.  My article is specific about the Oberdoffer lip seal replacement!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

For future reference of anyone reading this thread. ANY leak of the raw water seal is bad, it should leak nothing at all and if it is even a minor leak it can and will eventually lead to bigger problems.
For instance, if you're lucky enough to keep the boat in salt water, it will eat away at the engine mounts...and it will also cause corrosion of the cast aluminum gear case cover it is mounted to. If that's not bad enough, it corrode the oil pan itself. A friend had a pin hole develop just underneath the raw water pump on his Universal M18 (Catalina 27) and you'd be surprised how quickly the pan will drain itself into the bilge from a pin hole.
Bottom line is that weep hole is an indicator of a problem that should be addressed at the first sign of a leak.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Guys : There have been numerous posts on this Message Board about C34 owners that have not paid attention to the leaks from the raw water pump and have had their oil pan rust out!!   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html [Link added to main page of C34 Tech wiki]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : For those that are first time readers on "How To rebuild an Oberdoffer Pump"  I want to give a few kudos to Stu Jackson

One of the most important steps in that rebuild is NOT to score the inside wall of the pump while removing the old lip seals!!.  That's why I built my special tool. 

Stu later pointed out that a 20p nail could be used - instead of going thru the work of making my special tool!!  And he was right!!  I over-engineered to fix a problem that could be simply solved   :shock:

CONGRATULATIONS STU !!!   :thumb:

A thought   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

senorquill

Thanks for the advise. I'll buy a new one, install, and get the boat into fighting shap. Than re-build the old one as a back-up.

I'll need a new oil pan also, that has been toast for years and worse now. I'll open a new thread for that.

V/R,

MQ
MQ