Mystery fuel leak pulling Injectors

Previous topic - Next topic

TortolaTim

I removed the fuel injectors yesterday and took them to a shop for a rebuild. Followed the instructions quoted below from the Aug 2002 TechNotes...

1) I usually "shut off the fuel" by
using needle nose vice grips with tubing pump.
on the tips and "clamp" off the hose.
It's easier than emptying the
port side lazarette to get to the
tank shut off

I went back to the boat today and there was a gallon+ of diesel in the "pan" under the engine. I can't for the life of me figure out how that much fuel leaked out of the injection pump (fuel lines are removed). I had absorbant shop towels on top of the 3 nipples to keep it clean and it was soaked with fuel today when I got to the boat. Where else or HOW did that much fuel escape???! 
Additional note: I didn't shut off fuel at the tank, as I couldn't see any way it could gravity feed all the way to the injectors, plus I did the "hemostat" trick on the fuel line, which usually works great for me when I change the filters.  M25 XP
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Ron Hill

Tim : I'm the guy that you almost quoted correctly!! 
What I printed is that "I usually use needle nose vice grips with tubing OVER the tips" (to protect the fuel tubing)  I also have "hemostat" forceps on board, but use the vice grips for a coup-le of reasons!!  1. they are stronger  2. they can be opened to accommodate a larger hose.  3. they can be adjusted so the hose is just pinched shut - not completely squashed!!

You my not have read my many articles or posts where I mention that because the fuel tank is higher than the engine - fuel will syphon to the point that if the fuel pump is not operating the engine will keep be running!!

Don't know where you applied the hemostat, but it should have been on the output line from the Racor filter.  There's alot of fuel in that line from the tank in the line, filter and pump which is another reason that I don't recommend that shutoff at the tank.  Later I added a ball valve cut off to the fuel line which have makes cutting off the fuel much easier!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

TortolaTim

Ron, thanks for the reply. I have been using your technique of vice grips and rubber tubing. I placed them on the fuel line between the secondary fuel filter and the injection pump before removing the injectors, and they haven't moved.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL