Tides Mainsail system

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

i have a 1990 tall rig. Sail never easy to raise on the painted mast although I  put really good slides on years ago. Have decided on Tides system which everyone seems to rave about. Wonder what experiences people have had on this group? thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Patches

Cliff:

I put on a Tides Marine Strong Track a year ago as part of replacing my main sail.  I also had one on a prior boat, and think they are great.  Before installing on my C34 I had a harder time dropping the main all the way.  The main raised pretty well.

I installed it myself.  The hardest part is feeding the long track up the slot on the mast.  As I remember, I had to remove the goose neck and boom to do this, and used an impact driver to remove the bolts holding on the gooseneck fitting.  If it hasn't been off since 1990--and I don't think mine had--the impact driver and correct bit really helps.

The other issue is that the track requires the "gate" opening  (where you feed the slugs on your luff, and where the Strong Track slides in) to be a certain minimum length.  I discovered that the gate on my 1990 standard rig was not long enough.  So, using a Dremel and cutting disc, I carefully cut/removed 1.5-2 inches of the slot above the top part of the gate to increase its length.  The track then fed smoothly up the mast.

Strong Track has detailed measuring instructions and a work booklet to help make sure you measure carefully, and several times.  If you don't have one, buy a 100 ft measuring tape and reel at Home Boys and put a small shackle on the end.  I have used that for all kinds of measurements when replacing sails.

I really like the system.  Because I replaced my main sail at the same time, I was able to put the new Rutgerson slugs and cars on the new main when it was built.

Patches

glennd3

I put one on several years ago and it is easier to raise the sail however I still need to winch the last 5 feet. If I have extra hands on the boat, I like to jump the main from the mast, very easy to raise from there.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

I really like my Tides Strong track! I always "jump" the main, even when single-handing. This way sail goes up super-fast. I, and others here, have installed cam cleats at the mast to hold the halyard after jumping the main. Then we go aft and pull the tail, which releases the cam and then take in the slack to the cabin top winch and clutch. I found a pic. In hindsight I would have mounted my cleat a bit higher up on the mast.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

crieders

noah great idea
i am curious, did the others have to make the modificatons that patches did?

crieders

anyone have the measurements for C, D and E? on Tall rig
C = To- to- bottom of sailtrack groove
D= Length of mast gate
E = Top of mast gate to bottom of groove?
Thanks. Could not find on internet.

Noah

I wouldn't trust any measurements for this other than the ones I personally take on my own boat. Too much chance for errors.
Standard Rig

WBev

As to modifications to install the Tides track, none necessary for our 1992 TR.
Agree, the system is great.  I can drop the main "easily" in 20+ kts.  (Wishing I could furl the beast 155 so quickly, but I digress).
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Colonel Butler

I installed one of these systems as soon as I bought my C34MkII (tall). Also a stack pack system. Dousing the sail is so easy. Point into the wind and release the halyard and let it run. Just about every time 95% of the the sail ends up in the stack pack. I also jump the sail at the mast when raising. I can usually get it almost to the top at which time I cleat it in a cam cleat on the mast and return to the cockpit to  finish raising it with the halyard winch. As soon as you start to tension the halyard, it pops out of the mast cleat and you finish adjusting the luff tension.

Really pleased with it after three years of use.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada

crieders

Wobegon, how did you take measurements and do you still have them?
I have a 1990 TR on my boat.
Thanks

WBev

Sorry, I just noticed your post.  As for mine, Chesapeake Sailmakers had the specs from a prior install.  I can ask Chuck O'Malley when I pick up my repaired sails this week.  I will let you know.  I have the track "key" rings with the slot keys still, but as to length it really was on-site measure and cut. 
Bill
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Noah

Tides will send you instructions and a measurement "kit", as will Catalina Direct.
Standard Rig