Darn it! I visited Catalina’s website

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Dave Spencer

There was a good discussion about the 425 in this forum in 2017. 
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8693.msg68519.html#msg68519

Later in the thread at Reply #37, former C34 owner and periodic forum poster Fred Koehlmann confessed that he bought the C425 at the 2017 Toronto International Boat Show.  https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8693.msg69141.html#msg69141 
I think he got Hull #2 or 3.  Coincidentally, Fred is only a few slips away from me at our marina.  He invited me aboard this summer for a tour.  It's a really wonderful boat.  He has a hard dodger.   The interior is very attractive and warm Catalina woodwork unlike some of the modern European boats with more austere interiors.  Headroom below is very generous and is reflected in the topsides with quite high freeboard.

I'm definitely not in the market to replace our beloved C34 but if I was, the C425 would be a strong contender.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Dave Spencer on January 07, 2023, 06:01:45 AM
There was a good discussion about the 425 in this forum in 2017.   The interior is very attractive and warm Catalina woodwork unlike some of the modern European boats with more austere interiors.  Headroom below is very generous and is reflected in the topsides with quite high freeboard.

I couldn't agree more. The modern European offerings are horrific pieces of s**t. The quality of the woodwork is more like something you'd find in Ikea. Even on the show boats we looked at the gaps between the various pieces of cabin sole were wide and uneven. Some designs don't even have doors to the cabins  - in the name of style - but actually to save money. The only decently made boats now are from the likes of Hallberg-Rassy. But these are at least double and sometimes triple the cost of a big name manufacturer.

I didn't know much about Catalinas until I bought mine. I'd always thought of them as 'cheap and cheerful'. But, after 14 months of ownership I would choose a Cat any day over the likes of Jen, Ben, Bavaria and Hanse.

I agree with Ed Massey, Catalina over delivers and under prices.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Steve_in_lex

...and a sail area/displacement of 20 is nothing to sneeze at.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"