Windlass Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

this is my windlass. I think it was there from the start. Does anyone know what model it is?
I only have one switch for "DOWN" but I also want to add one for "UP". Does anyone know how I can determine whether and how to do this?
Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

KeelsonGraham

Hi Holger,

Yes, you can certainly do this but you'll probably need to buy a new solenoid. I had a similar system when I bought my boat, except my single switch was an Up switch.

With a single switch installed you'll probably only have a unidirectional solenoid so you'll have to buy a new solenoid as well as a second foot switch. Solenoids are about €60 to €80.

I avoided the footswitch by installing a remote control for the new solenoid. It works a treat!
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Holger Dieske

oh, a remote is a good idea and my next plan.
Is the "solenoid" maybe that, what we in Germany "Relais" call?

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

waughoo

Holger... yes, a relay is likely a good translation.  You are using a lower amp 12v signal to trigger a HIGH amp 12v signal. 

When you get your parts all figured out, you should be able to wire the system to have both your existing up switch as well as a remote. It would add a bit of redundancy in the event of a lost remote.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Holger Dieske

... thx for the Moment!
Everbody now this Modell?

Ron Hill

Hogler : From the arrow on your foot switch, I'd guess that you have an UP switch!!   Not a down switch.

Observation - from the looks of your chain it appears that you don't do much anchoring or you have some new chain!!

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

Quote from: Holger Dieske on January 03, 2023, 09:04:15 AM
... thx for the Moment!
Everbody now this Modell?

Holger, my translator sys that the German for solenoid is solenoid. If you have the Maxwell windlass, I can send you the circuit diagrams for this model.

Graham

Noah

Sorry, I do not know what brand. However, it looks to me like an after-market install. In my opinion, the factory wouldn't have installed it with that big metal base overhanging, sticking forward, nor with that black Beckson inspection port on top. Perhaps unscrew that inspection plate and take photos of through there and from the Port side(top) as well.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Holger Dieske

Ron: yeah sure it's up, I got the words up/down mixed up.

I anchor often, but I lost my old chain complete with Jambo anchor in heavy weather last March when crossing from southern Croatia to northern Italy, so now a new 75 meter chain and Rocna.
Graham and Noah: thx, I'll be back on the boat in Italy in February. I'll see if I can open it and take some photos.

I'll go to the dry dock for another 4 weeks in March and I really still have a lot of work to do. From May I'll be going on a long trip. I think. I have to do some things on the way, but I'm still trying to get the parts I need beforehand. this is easier in Germany than in the south

KeelsonGraham

Holger,

Regardless of the make of windlass, you'll need one of these:

https://www.svb24.com/en/quick-relay-box-for-windlass-for-2-or-4-pole-motors.html

SVB are absolutely brilliant, especially if you need a part sent in a hurry to some distant place in Europe. They got a replacement wheel pilot to me in Spain in less than 24 hrs!

Ron Hill

Noah : I believe that you are correct on the after market (not Catalina factory) installation.  From the one picture it looks like a vertical windlass mounted in the horizontal position.  It also has a nice stainless "splash" protector so the chain doesn't eat up the gelcoat!!

Hogler : As Keel mentioned all you need is a solenoid that has the capability for the "UP & Down" functions.  With most all of the space for a foot switch takenup - the mention of a remote is a thought.  Also you might just pull that Vberth panel and look at the solenoid that is already installed there.  I say that because my windlass solenoid has both the up/down capability, but I only wired it for the UP capability!!! (this was really DUMB on my part because BOTH up/down are necessary to have and easy to do when initially installing a windlass)

Maybe you could figure out a up/down switching for the existing solenoid (which I suspect may already be there!!) ???

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

Thank you for your help and for the link!

When I'm on the ship, I'll unscrew it and see what's installed. If necessary, I'll buy and install the new linked relay. I will probably plan for the possibility of a remote control.

Holger

waughoo

The access hatch will likely only be valuable for inspection.  To wore it all up you will need to take out the v-berth shelf and fwd bulkhead.  These are relatively easy to remove.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

dfloeter

I agree with addition of a remote versus trying to mount another switch.  My remote came from China via Amazon and has worked flawlessly until I dove in to check the anchor with it still in my pocket.  Fortunately I had a backup.  These remotes are inexpensive enough that I now two backups on board.
That rather un-Catalina baseplate looks well made and helpful. 
So Holger, good luck and once you get into it the job isn't too bad. 
Tscheuss
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Holger Dieske

short query: your mean a wireless radio remote control, right?