How does one resolve a cracked strut when there are no replacements available?.

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

Yowzah!  Glad you managed to get it fixed.  Those projects are always a GIANT unknown until they are finished. Thanks for posting the followup.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Quote from: Rees on June 15, 2023, 03:52:58 PM
I wrote a long story here about the replacement of my strut but then I was forced to close the window down on my computer, while trying to load the a photo and lost the entire story. I'll be brief(er) now.  I took the advice given on this forum, asked experts and decided to replace my strut.  I could not find a boatyard within 50 miles to do the work so ended up in Port Townsend.  They originally estimated 15 hours to do the job. This turned into 35 hours after they chiseled through 4" of reinforced fiberglass to get the old strut out, found the new strut a fraction of an inch longer and with bolt holes that didn't match up had to realign the engine and drill new holes.  I now have a new prop strut.  Not only that but a bonus of an interesting piece of bronze yard art to show visitors!   

That is an impressive amount of reinforcement!  I had no idea.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Breakin Away

Those three pages seem to show an evolution in the methods.

First page (1980-1983) shows no nuts, but lots of internal laminate covering up an internal flange. I feel bad for those early C27 and C30 owners who have to cut a large hole in their hull to replace their struts.

The second page (1983-~2000?) shows an external flange with internal nuts covered up by laminate. I guess Gerry Douglas liked hiding the internal nuts, but you need to hack up the interior laminate to get to the nuts for removal of the strut.

The third page, dated in 2003, shows internal nuts but no internal laminate. I guess Kent Nelson liked the idea of being able to remove a damaged strut without hacking up the interior. The strut is still not easy to remove since the nuts are typically sealed with 3M 5200.

FWIW, my 2001 MkII's original strut was attached using the method shown on page 3 (no interior laminate). When the strut was damaged in 2019, the replacement was installed using the same method.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : My 1988 has a single (self locking - split head) exposed nuts!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

Rees, why is the nut and bolt extension on the outside instead of inside? Was that just temporary or will all bolts and nuts be oriented that way?
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Noah

Ed- I am pretty sure that nut on the outside is for temporary mounting to line things up, etc.  The strut casting is made with square holes to take square shank bronze carriage bolts with nuts on inside of hull.
Standard Rig