Instrument panel rewire

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikN

One of my winter projects is to rewire the instrument panel, and I thought some folks might enjoy this "before" photo of the rat's nest.

I also have one question: are there any conventions regarding wire colors for, e.g., the wires that connect the gauge positives, negatives, etc.? I'm aware of the ABYC conventions for the harness wire colors, but I'm curious about the short wires that run between posts on the back of the panel.
Erik Noonburg, Seattle WA
#53 1986, SR/FK, M25, "Callooh! Callay!"

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Erik : While you're in there - change out the instrument light from the old #194 bulbs to LEDs.  They are way tooo hot!!   I wrote an Mainsheet Tech Note article on that subject (Superbrightleds.Com). 

I went to red LEDs for night vision!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ErikN

I spent a long time researching this project, but I somehow missed that thread. The red led's are a great idea--thanks!

As for the wire colors, the factory diagram shows the colors for the wires coming up to the panel, but not the various connections, e.g., from the ignition switch to the glow plug and start buttons, all the instrument ground connections, etc. I could make all the positives red and all the grounds black, but I thought some different colors might make it easier (for me) to follow different paths. It should be a lot simpler after I rewire it, so this really isn't a big deal.

waughoo

Noah's suggestion to use the wiring kit from CD.  That gets you the color code for the main harness.  I wouldn't frett about the colors for the start button wires etc. 

I want to rebuild my whole panel with new gauges.  Mine are pretty well sun busted.  Does anyone have a source for the gauges sold in the kit sold by CD?  They are lit in a way that makes them SO MUCH easier to see at night.  I have snooped around but have yet to find the ones used by the factory.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

I do not believe the manufacturer is still in business. I got replacements from Defender, see my thread from above.

Quote from: waughoo on December 18, 2022, 10:06:14 AM
Noah's suggestion to use the wiring kit from CD.  That gets you the color code for the main harness.  I wouldn't frett about the colors for the start button wires etc. 

I want to rebuild my whole panel with new gauges.  Mine are pretty well sun busted.  Does anyone have a source for the gauges sold in the kit sold by CD?  They are lit in a way that makes them SO MUCH easier to see at night.  I have snooped around but have yet to find the ones used by the factory.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Catalina007

Quote from: glennd3 on December 18, 2022, 12:31:32 PM
I do not believe the manufacturer is still in business. I got replacements from Defender, see my thread from above.

Quote from: waughoo on December 18, 2022, 10:06:14 AM

I only buy proprietary Catalina items from CD. The prices on everything else are a ripoff. I replaced with Sierra gauges, You can get them anywhere and can buy individually also.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-69709p?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAhqCdBhB0EiwAH8M_Gou5p4d4BDOS587LQYgGUYXN0kTLkRSTaLVkO3m2WOJv0BjzPde-_hoC9CoQAvD_BwE

waughoo

The problem with the Sierra gauges are that they are lit in the same way as the old ones in the cluster.  The ones CD sells in their clusters are lit from behind as is the wand.  Plus they look way better (to me). 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Erik : I still have the original instruments.  After I replaced the 194 bulbs with red LEDs I took an after noon and soldered all of the wires into the U/ring connectors. Then I sprayed the back with "BoShield". Have never had a problem since and never had a reason to take that panel off any more!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

ErikN

Why solder, rather than crimp & heat shrink? I'm planning to replace the wire harness next (the old RV plugs are headed to the dumpster) and I would like to do all this properly.

Ron Hill

Erik : Those old RV plugs (Gummy Bears) were changed out  long ago - 1991!! 

The Boshield spray does almost the same thing as heat shrink - it protects the connections with a waxy coating.  You need to try it!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ErikN

Had I owned the boat in 1991, those plugs would be long gone! At least some previous owner removed the ammeter.

But I'm curious, when is it better to solder connections rather than crimp them? Is there a rule of thumb, or is it preference?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteBut I'm curious, when is it better to solder connections rather than crimp them? Is there a rule of thumb, or is it preference?

I remember reading somewhere years ago that ABYC calls for crimped connections.  If my memory is correct it had to do with the wicking solder making the wire prone to breaking due to vibration.  So I changed my ways and now use crimp connections.  Do need good tools and proper connectors.  After making a crimp connection I give it a visual look and a good pull, never had a connection I made fail.
Having said that, don't think that soldering is a bad thing.  There may be some place it's better.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

The ABYC E-11 standard is quite clear that "solder shall not be the sole means of electrical connection". Crimp and then solder yes. Straight solder. NO.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig