Portlight size

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

Does any know the exact size of the portlights on a 1987 Catalina 34 (Lewmar)? They are opening but the glass is all cracked looking and I need new seals. My boat is covered for the winter and I'm trying to get parts for the spring. I have six that have the latch and two in the aft cabin that have knobs that tighten. I also have one that was installed above the galley stove.

thanks
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Dan : From your discerption of your opening portlights, I believe that you have 6 Lewmar (latch) ports in the main cabin and 2 Beckson ports in the aft cabin.  If the opening portlight over the galley stove has knobs that tighten - then it is also a Beckson.  Look at Defender for your replacements.  Defender also has replacement gaskets as well a lenses for the Lewmar ports.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

The ones with knobs are probably the Bomar "Gray." Series.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Hi Dan, On my 1987 MK1 I replaced my head opening port with a black Beckson Newport Self-Drain Rectangular Opening Port with smoked glass (PO410-BS-10). If your galley opening port looks like the head opening port it's most likely a black Beckson Newport Self-Drain Rectangular Opening Port with smoked glass, but verify before you buy.

On my 1987 the aft cabin has 2 white Beckson Newport Self-Drain Rectangular Opening Ports, but I don't know the correct PN. On some boats Lewmar opening ports were installed in the aft cabin instead of Beckson.

On my 1987 the salon and v-berth have 6 Lewmar opening portlights with hatch dogs that rotate, not flip up to open. Catalina Direct sells a gasket kit listed as Lewmar "Old Std" PN Z3712 that fits. Catalina Direct also sells replacement lenses for the "Old Std".

We're all trying to help, but PO's (Previous Owners) may have made changes to your boat that make it unique. Always double check what you actually have before buying anything.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Dan : Check the $$ of the parts and you should find that Defender will be the best deal. 

The 1987 C34 production started out with all Beckson ports thru out the boat.  Later in that year production Catalina switched to Lewmar hatches in the main cabin salon and Beckson ports in the aft cabin. Catalina continued that configuration thru the rest of the Mk1 C34s production in 1994.  Some people did order the Lewmar hatches for the aft cabin - on a special order basis!! 

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Joesboat

Not sure on the aft cabin Beckson ports, they are a different size on our boat.

I would have had to replace the glass and both seal kits on all six cabin ports, some of the aluminum frames were also pitted from corrosion . In April I replaced them with Lewmar #1 which included new screens and a new style of latch, from Sailboatowners.com
called customer service to place the order, (??a normal/easy conversation on the phone!) the quoted price in writing was good for 30 days, and then verified everything by email before the order and billing went through.

Six at $262 each, shipping was $102 (from east coast) to the west coast.

Its not a blingy upgrade but they are clear and do not leak.
1987 Catalina 34'
Universal m-25xp

Ron Hill

Jon : You are correct that the opening ports are Beckson NOT Bomar. 

The rumor goes that customers of the early C34s (1986s & early1987s) complained that they caught their ankles on the Beckson outside drains of the main cabin ports. Also rumored that lewmar gave a better price.  Knowing Frank Butler I suspect that the later is probably true!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Standard Rig

melp64

Some of the pictures are bad I took them off a video
Dan

waughoo

To answer the OP's question, the ports pictured are lewmar size #1 old style.  Hatch masters sells the replacement lenses and seal kits for the cams.

Quote from: Joesboat on December 16, 2022, 06:42:48 PM
In April I replaced them with Lewmar #1 which included new screens and a new style of latch

I just did as Joesboat did.  My existing portlights were like looking through crushed ice.  Replacing them made a VAST improvement when on the boat.  Additionally, I now have inner trim rings for the first time ever!!  This too made the boat look a bit snazzier.  I also like the way the lenses have no penetrations on them. They look much tidier from amd the new frames are also a bit more flush from the outside.  I can recommend the upgrade to new style.

PS: I also replaced the aft cabin becksons with the new lewmars.  I have never been a fan of the becksons.  I often caught the self drain collar when navigating the cockpit.

I am VERY happy with the upgrade and highly recommend it to anyone considering it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

I was told from a person from east Florida rigging that I should make sure no kids were around when trying to replace the seals. He said it would take about 8 hours for the first one and then maybe 4 hours each for the rest. Are the seals really that much of a pain in the butt? As you can see from the pictures I need to fix these first before I can start refinishing the wood work this spring. I tried to upload a video but I'm not sure if you can do that. Thanks for all the comments I now have 3 different sources to check for new parts. If I was to buy the glass, handles and seals it would be around a 100.00 a light. If I bought inside trim it would be 130.00
Dan

waughoo

The inside trims for the lewmar old style (like you have in the boat) are no longer available.  If you have found an inside trim, you are likely looking at a new style.  They are not compatible.

Also, you might also have leaks where the frames meet the cabin trunk.  They are reasonably easy to re bed but make sure you make a template for where the screws sit in the frame.  They are often not all the same length.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Dan : I don't believe that it will take That long (8hrs) to install a port. 

I removed and rebedded a couple of mine both lewmar and Beckson.  My only advice is to make sure that you wear old clothes, because when I screw around with caulk I wind up destroying shirts and shorts! I like to use poly sulfide as it does have some elasticity to it.  Depending on the cutout hole you might be able to use butyl rubber instead of caulk??

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788