Integral water tanks

Previous topic - Next topic

LogoFreak

Has anyone ever considered building integral water tanks in areas that are otherwise dead space? Like under aft cabin bed, under floor in galley. Lots of volume there. Could gain a fair bit of useable space if oem tanks were removed in favour of the integral tanks.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : Define what you mean by an "Integral Tank" ??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

scgunner

Antoni,

When I installed a flash water heater I had to increase water capacity as the girls would burn through the water at an alarming rate. I installed a 40 gallon bladder under the V-berth.

Even if you do build integral tanks, which seems like a fairly large and involved project, the space freed up is not very accessible, behind the aft cabin bulkhead and under the seat behind the dining table. Also you'll need to be aware of how moving the water around might affect the balance of the boat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

LogoFreak

I considered the bladder idea, problem with adding one under the v-berth is I'm already a bit nose heave with the addition of the bow sprit and the chain I carry. That's why this being more of a thinking out loud exercise I'm looking at other options. Putting more weight on starboard fixes the port list we all have and putting more weight aft will get me level fore/aft.

I also don't like seeing areas of large volume that aren't utilized while areas with easy access in comparison used inefficiently with tanks that otherwise could be used for storage space.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Patches

Having much of my boat torn up and exposed at the moment (1990 Mark 1.25), the best area for additional tankage seems to be the bow area under the V-berth.  The space under the aft berth isn't very big and also nice to have access to engine cabling,wire runs, muffler, and shaft log.

Getting rid of my marine head and holding tank, as well as the aft water tank, has me thinking about replacing the old holding tank with a new Ronco 30 gallon fresh water tank.  They can be bought new off the shelf for a few hundred $ and slot right in.  I dislike the crowding to the quadrant and access to the aft thruhulls/hoses presented by the aft water tank (I recently removed it to replace cockpit scupper hoses and engine exhaust hose, and have left it out.)  So I am seriously considering conversion of that space for items that are needed for the shorter term and which can be removed easily for any maintenance items back there.

Also, having had the Galley floor removed and cutting into the floor to run new wires directly to the engine--eliminating the old wiring through the panel switch--I can say there is not a lot of room there for integral tanks.

Again, for me, this is all made possible by the decision to remove the marine head and holding tank in favor of a porta-potti/Airhead composting head.  No regrets there at all.  But I'm also not the kind of owner likely to attempt integral tankage, preferring the modular tankage which is relatively easy to install--and replace-- in our boats.  Even if I put in a new Port settee Ronco water tank, I still have a fair amount of space to work with (1) under the V-berth and (2) made available with the removed aft water tank.

Like Kevin, I've put in a flexible bladder tank in a prior boat.  But I didn't love the taste of the water from that water bladder, or the way it shifted in the hull space.  So I don't think I'd do that again.

Patches

Ron Hill

Antoni : When considering increasing the tankage of water on a C34; I believe that with the limited space you might be better investing in a water maker rather than a bladder or an Integral tank!! 
Back in the 1990s the price of a gallon of RO water in the Bahamas was almost 4 times the price of a gallon of diesel!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Ron, that solution might be the best bet, however I am still leaning towards making the entire starboard side settee an integral tank, I can likely regain the 46 gallons I lost by removing the aft tank. That and the addition of a water maker might be the best combination.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : With water @ 9 lbs/gallon - I'd recommend that you get some weight back there before your C34 becomes bow heavy !!   I believe that's why Jerry Douglas installed the aft water tank in the 1987 and subsequent - after he tried the 1986 production C34 with out an aft tank!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Bringing a fat friend and relegating him/her to the cockpit princess seats could work as well. :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Love it!!!  :clap :D That way I can also ask him/her to move according to water usage! Bahahahah
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

LogoFreak

Ron, I am getting a new fuel tank made, it is going to take the space of the 46 gallon water tank. However I removed the shelf that it was installed on and having the diesel tank follow the hull shape. Estimating that the new diesel tank will be about 250L (66 gallons).

Will be glassing in a couple of supports for the tank but only high enough to allow the tank to breath.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : If i remember correctly diesel is only about 4.5 lbs/gal.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tmac

Ron - you're getting to be like me - I have a great memory - its just short! :D
Sorry to correct you, but the weight per US gallon of diesel is about 7 lbs. 
Tom McCanna
Bayfield, WI , Apostle Islands 1988 std. rig C34, #818 M-25xp, wing keel
Lake Superior - No Sharks, No Salt

Ron Hill

Tom : Thanks - Guess that all of those old numbers for JP4 , JP5, 115/145, milk (yes MILK !!) etc are sill rattling around in my brain - somewhere!!  Thanks

a thought
Ron, Apache #788