rudder issue?

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

While inspecting the boat on the hard, I tried to push on the rudder. It  has a tiny bit of movement. The "ring" between the rudder and the boat bottom is loose, as it has always been. Any reason for concern or a fix? Thnks very much.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : The "ring" - as you call it is a nylon bushing!!  There is another identical bushing on the top side of the rudder column between the emergency tiller cap and the upper hull in the cockpit.

What I did to decrease any vertical rudder play was to add a second bushing on the top side under the tiller cap.  Let me warn you - If you have not had that emergency tiller cap off and greased the inside surface of the tiller cap, I'm sure the it has fused itself to the Stainless steel rudder column (that's what dissimilar metals tend to do around moisture - (worse in salt water environment)!! 

Another warning - if you try what I have done, make sure the the top of the fwd portion of the rudder (after lifting it up) has clearance and clears the hull!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI tried to push on the rudder. It  has a tiny bit of movement.

It's generally called rudder play.  A tiny bit, only just noticeable, is normal.  I suggest a search for "rudder play" .  Lots of discussion and information.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

crieders

all very helpful. I will sleep better!!
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff & Guys : As you can tell I didn't like the approx. 1/4"+ of rudder play nor any rudder side play either.  You can see how I eliminated the vertical play and there have been MANY posts (multiple fixes ) on how to eliminate the side rudder play. 

I used the drafting film fix by cutting strips and sliding them into the sides of both the upper and lower sleeves of the rudder.  I was much happier to see no vertical nor horizontal movement only the turning motion of the rudder emergency tiller cap!!    :D

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

I have been told that the small gap between the nylon ring and the rudder stock entry into the ship is normal when the ship is on land. When it is in the water, the buoyancy pushes the rudder blade up. So this distance is like this
wanted.
Can an expert here confirm this?

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

LogoFreak

It's not really a bushing but more of a shim. I fixed my rudder play (side to side) by making an upper bushing.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : You are correct.  The walk thru transom C34s have a shim type bushing and the conventional transom C34s have a flat bushing!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Antoni : Correct again.  Both are flat while one has an integral sleeve underneath!! 

Actually, The Conventional transom rudder has two of the flat bushing /shims --  one on the top under the emergency tiller cap and one between the top of the rudder and the hull!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Antoni : In a previous thread there was discussion about the walk thru transom emergency tiller connection being off center with the deck hole. 

Looking at your picture I believe that Catalina may have purposely off-centered that deck hole making it easier to install that stainless bolt that goes thru and holds the rudder column up in place!!

A thought!!!
Ron, Apache #788