Fuel cutoff cable attachment

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikN

While I was working in the engine compartment, the fuel cutoff cable popped off the engine. Whatever attached the end of the cable to the lever on the engine disappeared, like a sock in the dryer. Of course, I'm glad this happened while we're tied up at the dock. However, I have no idea how to reattach the cable. I've studied the "Engine stop lever group" diagram in the M25 parts manual, but I still can't see how the cable should be attached. Does anyone know what parts, clamps, clips, etc., might be required?
Erik Noonburg, Seattle WA
#53 1986, SR/FK, M25, "Callooh! Callay!"

Ron Hill

Enk : Go to an auto parts store and ask for a "cable stop".  All it is is a circular piece with hole in the center with a threaded screw in the middle.  Slide it over the cable end and tighten the screw.

I'm sure that if you look closely at your engine compartment inside and outside the starboard side floor of the engine you'll find the one that slid off.  Happy Hunting!!!  I'm sure that it is magnetic - if that helps?!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

ErikN

A cable stop is still on the cable, but I don't see any way to attach this end to the cutoff lever. I may be missing something obvious, but I may have lost something on the lever. Hmm.

Noah

If no one beats me to it, I will be at my boat on Monday and post a picture.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Erik

The wire end of the cablr goes through a hole (<1/8"?) near the end of the stop lever.  And the cable stop hits the lever and pulls the lever aft when you pull the cable.

A picture is worth a thousand boat visits.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ErikN

Ok, now I get it—I was certain it had to be more complicated than that. Maybe the afternoon spent tracing wires back there did some damage to my brain.