Cheek Deck Organizer replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

You may be able to see in the photo that the Phillips heads are already boogered up. I tried to get this center bolt to release with PB Blaster, but no bueno. Looks like time, sun and salinity have done a job on the plastic but the stainless organizer looks okay. Should I cut the heads off if they won't budge (or they get too wallowed out)? I've tried to source the individual cheek pulleys with no luck so far. I'd hate to have to spend $160.00 for a new organizer. This is a Spring project for me, and this particular cheek goes to a headsail halyard I can substitute with my roller furling, but Winter is all about organizing Spring projects and sourcing material.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

glennd3

Maybe try an impact screwdriver with the correct sized bit.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Porchhound

Hmmm...a tool I don't have yet :santa Thanks!
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

waughoo

2nd vote for the impact driver.  It is good for exactly what you are trying to do there.

Additionally, I replaced my deck organizers and the new ones were ball bearing versions from garhauer.  I can't say the savings in cost will be worth the fooling around to find replacement shives.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

I also vote to replace your organizers. Even if you do get the heads cut off, you will still need to do some serious soaking with PB Blaster or Kroil, as the stainless bolts are tapped/seized into an aluminum plate in the deck.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Porch : If the impact screw driver doesn't work (especially on the one that's buggered up) file two edges of the screw head flat and use a vice grips.  If that doesn't work - saw/cut the heads off, remove the old organizer and then try the vice grips on the threaded portion after some penetrating oil.

The new Garhauer organizers are BB.  Look at my Mainsheet tech note article were I moved the starboard organizer aft so the angle was less than 90 degrees- making an easier pull for the main halyard!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

Good stuff! Thanks, everyone. Ron, I'll check that article out. I think this organizer is almost directly abeam the mast.

Ron Hill

Porch : Yes, that organizer has a 90 degree pull for the lines going aft into the cockpit!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Porch : The movement of that organizer now gives about a 30 degree pull angle.  I also made about a 1 inch teak block to set it on - as it needed some elevation!!  Works Great

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

Thanks, Ron. Sounds like a great solution.

Phil Spicer

Porch, how is the removal of the organizer going? Did the impact screwdriver work?
You have a Garhauer organizer and Garhauer will put new ball bearing sheaves in your old housing
if you don't want to get a new organizer.
    Just some more suggestions.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

waughoo

In addition to what Phil said, Garhauer will even make you a custom one that matches your screw layout.  I would highly recommend giving them a call before you buy anything.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Porchhound

Phil we are away from the boat til Spring. I'm setting project priorities and organizing parts and tools I'll need when I get back.