Coolant recovery hose issue.

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

While trying to track down the source of a small amount of coolant in my bilge, I noticed that the hose from my coolant recovery tank had no hose clamp at the engine end. There is corrosion around the fill cap so this leakage has been happening for some time. When I tried to seat the hose on the fitting and apply a clamp the fitting separated from the neck of the pressure cap/coolant fill. Any suggestions for a repair? 
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

waughoo

I had this exact problem when I addaded a coolant recovery tank.  The parts are all brass or copper so they can be sweat like copper plumbing fittings.  You have to clean poth parts up really well till you see clean metal, then apply Flux, heat and then touch the solder to the joint.  If you haven't done it before, there are likely many videos on YouTube that will explain the process.  The parts and tools are all readily available at any hardware store.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

robbjd

Thanks Alex, I'll give it a shot. 
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

S/V : Let me add to Alexa's comments - that's acid flux and get a flame proof soldering cloth/blanket to protect the other exposed components and lightly sand the copper/brass items to be soldered!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

After the two parts are properly cleaned for soldering, first pre-tin both halves.
Then flux and insert the tube and with a hand sledge and block against the outside tube, use a round punch on the neck side to tighten/flare the tube into the neck.  A mechanical bond is important to assist with the soldered bond.
Then solder it up.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

robbjd

Can I use any of the solder & flux on hand? Most of my soldering was electronics/hobby related.
S/V Mystic
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

S/V : For electronics soldering you want rosin core (flux) solder.  For sweating brass/copper you need an acid flux and a solid core solder!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788