Replacement 51 amp Alternator (drawing 200360) with 12V 105 amp (INSTRO89)

Previous topic - Next topic

raisondeuxetre@gmail.com

The question that I have on my Catalina C-34 1997 Hull number 1323 is that I am replacing my 51 amp Prestolite Alternator (Please see drawing 200360) with a 12V 105 amp Prestolite Alternator (Please see INSTRO89). The voltage regulator is self excited.

Per drawing 200360 the #14 GRA is (not used).
Should I just put heat shrink on the 14 GRA wire?

Per INSTRO89 I do not see any connections for the #14 LT. BLU or #14 Pink (Shown on 200360) to the exciter.  The actual alternator has a cut green wire as shown on the attached photo. This new voltage regulator is self excited.  Should I just put heat shrink on the  #14 LT. BLU and #14 Pink wire?   

What should I do with the cut green wire?

mainesail

Quote from: raisondeuxetre@gmail.com on October 29, 2022, 05:15:45 AM
The question that I have on my Catalina C-34 1997 Hull number 1323 is that I am replacing my 51 amp Prestolite Alternator (Please see drawing 200360) with a 12V 105 amp Prestolite Alternator (Please see INSTRO89). The voltage regulator is self excited.

Per drawing 200360 the #14 GRA is (not used).
Should I just put heat shrink on the 14 GRA wire?

Per INSTRO89 I do not see any connections for the #14 LT. BLU or #14 Pink (Shown on 200360) to the exciter.  The actual alternator has a cut green wire as shown on the attached photo. This new voltage regulator is self excited.  Should I just put heat shrink on the  #14 LT. BLU and #14 Pink wire?   

What should I do with the cut green wire?

that does not look like a leech -Neville alt...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

What engine is this going on?
Where did you get the replacement Alt?  Catalina Direct?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

raisondeuxetre@gmail.com

mainesail

They used to sell genuine Leece-Neville, now they sell  knock-offs at LN prices? Very disappointing..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

CD is advertising and posting L-N documents that mislead owners into thinking that they're selling genuine L-Ns. While CD doesn't specifically claim that it's still intended to mislead.

There's another thread on here where an owner was alerted, and cancelled and returned CD's garbage and ordered up a genuine L-N instead.  You might search for that thread and do the same if you want a quality Alt in your boat.

Another alternative is a Wilson, who does high-quality rebuilds of L-N alts.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 30, 2022, 08:01:15 AM

There's another thread on here where an owner was alerted, cancelled of returned CD'd garbage and ordered up a good L-N instead.  You might search for that thread and do the same if you want a quality Atl in your boat.

Ken's right.  I just did a search on "leece neville" - there are two pages with over 50 posts.  I recall most of them from when they were first posted.  They remain valid, many of them include photos, and many include comments from Maine Sail.  It's well worth your time to do so.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."