M25 = Time to pull the starter?

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina007

Went to the start the engine  and no power at the cockpit panel.
Traced to a failed ring terminal at the pos starter solenoid
Fixed that and noticed the terminal on the starter or the ignition switch looked horrible. Cleaned and replaced terminal. 
So now I have power at the cockpit panel and 12.3V everywhere down to the starter, but starter wont do anything.
I even jumped the starter trerminals with a screwdriver - still nothing.
Soooo, after restoring power everywhere I think I have traced the new issue to a bad starter.
It had been working perfectly.  Never an issue.  I have done all the required upgrades (ammeter wiring, bigger/newer wires and cables, etc)   
Funny it would simply quit without  a hint?

What should be my next step?  Pull the starter and have it checked?   It is an older one ( but not the original one)
( Yes I rapped it with a hammer also!)

Just wondering if I am missing anything prior removing the starter.

Thanks 

Stu Jackson

Have you confirmed that here is power at the starter?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Catalina007

Yes.
So now I have power at the cockpit panel and 12.3V everywhere down to the starter, but starter wont do anything.

I dont get anything out of the starter.  Not a click, not a buzz, nothing

Also while we are here, does anyone have a part number for a simple push button start switch ( momentary on )
Mine is working but ist actually a pull switch and i want to get rid of it 

Stu Jackson

No click, no buzz USUALLY MEANS that the fuse between your start button and the solenoid is either blown or, more usually, the fuseholder has disintegrated.  It is cleverly hidden underneath the alternator.  Many of us have relocated it.  Take another look in Critical Upgrades, it's covered extensively there.

Look at Cole Hersee's website or the Defender or WM catalogs for the part number.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Catalina007

yes agree but i have power and when i put a screwdrivwer across the starter terminals I do have juice- spark.  just no action

Jim Hardesty

Quotei have power and when i put a screwdrivwer across the starter terminals I do have juice- spark.  just no action

Have you hit it with a hammer?  Seriously, a light tap with a hammer or something (sometimes a broom handle or long screwdriver is the only thing that will reach) will often get a starter working again. Especially if you have someone to push the start button while you tap the starter.  This may work a few times.  It's an old mechanics' trick to free up the solenoid or brushes.  I use it for trouble shooting if it works then I rebuild or replace the starter.  FWIW I would never put a screwdriver across the terminals.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

ewengstrom

If you've got power all the way to the starter as you state and you're getting a spark when you try to jump it I'd pull the starter and bench test it. It's just two bolts (plus the electrical connections) and should be a 15 minute job to extract it. If it still remains unresponsive you can then decide to rebuild or replace.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15