Sherwood knockoff pump?

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

I've looked online for photos of both Oberdorfer and Sherwood pumps, but this doesn't have the Sherwood stamp embossed on the cover and doesn't look like an Oberdorfer either. Survey tomorrow so I'd like to know if this will need replacement soon or of I'll have issues with parts. Any idea who made it?
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Stu Jackson

It's an older Oberdorfer.  It has a much thicker faceplate, but beware, the faceplate hole spacing for new pumps and new faceplates is a teeny tiny bit different and, therefore, unusable.  I had to get my older faceplate interior surface "faced" because it wasn't pumping water.

My tech note on this is in the Spring 2022 issue, Vol. 40, No. 1.  The 101 Topics tell you how to to get there via Mainsheet.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Porchhound

Thanks, Stu. I read the article (a couple times). I'm NOT an engineer and I'm trying to figure out how the corrosion around the faceplate in my photo, I assume from leakage, allowed the pump to function if the seal was that bad. I saw the $600+ price tag on an Oberdorfer pump upgrade so I'd like to avoid that in the future.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Ron Hill

Porch : As Stu mentioned that pump is an Oberdoffer!! 
It looks to me like all you need to do is to remove the face plate, cleanup the corrosion (lime a way) and get a new PAPER THIN gasket.  While you have the face plate Off - I'd replace the impeller and look at the inside of the face plate. Sand it smooth with some 400 wet/dry WET sand paper (on a flat surface) to make the inside smooth again. Then replace the impeller, gasket and face plate.

That should make the pump "ready" to go again!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

IMO- Don't let the "small stuff" distract you. Based upon your photos, the engine appears fine for its age. Listen to it, see if it leaks or overheats. And, closely watch and follow the surveyor while he does his thing on the rest of the boat. Then "if it feels right" and matches recent comps in value, go for it. It is a 30+ year-old boat and will require (and always will require going forward) things needing to be fixed—plus a bunch of love. Good luck!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

@hounddog

I don't recall you listing where she lies?  In salt air corrosion/deposits can occur that are due to other than leakage, such as around pumps, on Hx caps, nuts/bolts.  Its nothing to pre-worry about.  What may go wrong with a seawater pump and need servicing isn't on the outside.

The face plate is something i had noted in the armchair survey - very odd - as in 30 years I've not seen an original cast (not stamped) cover out of Syracuse that wasn't embossed (like this)

Possibly a very early version of the 202M pumps??

$600 is not the replacement cost. Let's see what the survey says and then post-worry about tallying up items.

I will say though, if pre worrying about something <$1k, you might rethink about owning a "Good Old Boat."  We'll introduce you to "B. O. A. T."   Of course if its simply to get a better price, sure!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 12, 2022, 07:06:37 AM

The face plate is something i had noted in the armchair survey - very odd - as in 30 years I've not seen an original cast (not stamped) cover out of Syracuse that wasn't embossed (like this)

In my 25+ years with my boat, I have actually NOT seen faceplates that Ken mentioned.  Mine is just like yours, hence my tech note article.
I also wrote an earlier tech note about rebuilding my Oberdorfer.  Here is the "done" photo that accompanied that tech note:

BTW, Ron's right, but if the pump is working fine, then all you need to do is clean up the edges without even messing with the faceplate or a new gasket at all.  The 101 Topics has the link to my rebuild article which is here on the forum IIRC.

Yup:
Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html [Link added to main page of C34 Tech wiki]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Thx for that heads up Stu.

The embossed cover below (which was on Reality Check) is the same as was on my '84 m25 (since changed to a stamped-cover pump (but not the o-ring pump, ie, its a 202M w/a stamped plate not a N202M.). And all the 30s I've seen had the embossed cover. 

Odd, 'eh?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Porchhound

Thanks for all the feedback. I wouldn't let the $600.00 affect the survey outcome. I was just adding up costs for post-survey negotiations, and trying to pre-determine any ticking time bombs. The engine ran fine during the survey. Prior to the cold start the surveyor dipped a finger in the coolant cap and the result was black globs of something mixed in with the coolant. As I said, the engine ran fine but she needs all fluids changed, along with impeller check/replacement.

Ron Hill

Porch : You need to replace that faceplate gasket. I'm sure it's shot because the corrosion tells you that it is leaking!!  Like I said with the faceplate off check the inside for wear and atleast inspect the impeller!
Just bend the blades back and look for any cracks starting!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound