Pigtail to Honda 2200 generator

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

I began this search thinking it would be easy, but I can't seem to find anything definitive regarding the actual pigtail connections I need to go to shore power cord. Pigtail options are dizzying. I have a 30amp outlet on my generator and my last boat had this pigtail but it went with the sale of the boat and a PO had purchased it. Anyone know the exact nomenclature for this pigtail? Thanks.

Note: Photo of generator receptacle on Reply3 below.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Noah

This should "probably" work with one end going into your shore power cord and the other into generator:

Leisure Cords Trailer dogbone adapter 15 amp male to 30 amp female locking connector with LED Power Indicator https://a.co/d/dPCcTAd
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThis should "probably" work with one end going into your shore power cord and the other into generator:

Leisure Cords Trailer dogbone adapter 15 amp male to 30 amp female locking connector with LED Power Indicator https://a.co/d/dPCcTAd

Looks right to me.  I didn't see the length you may need to add an extension cord.  Be cautious buying from camper stores, a lot of things are close but not exactly the same.  Up north we all have pig-tails to put ac power from an extension cord to the boat at winter storage.  I made up a special about 2 feet long. The right length to set my generator on the port aft lazarette seat and plug into both the generator and the shore power. 

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Porchhound

This is my female 30amp plug on my Honda 2200. It's a NEMA L5-30. I'm not at the boat so I don't know if the shore power male would plug into this receptacle. I may have to purchase an extension cord because both ends being the same NEMA designation on a pigtail doesn't make sense, so they aren't available 30amp to 30amp. As far as I can tell. I may just make my own like Jim suggested.

I can get one to plug into my 20amp receptacle. Don't know if that would be an issue. I don't have a lot of drain on my AC side. Just my water heater and battery charger.

Hopefully someone on here has used a Honda 2200i to hook up to their shore power cord.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Ron Hill

Porch : What I use on my Honda 1000 to connect to the boat input is a 30 amp adapter with a 115V (household clothes dryer) power cord.  To lessen any vibrations from the GenSet - it is placed on a Garden Kneeling Pad!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThis is my female 30amp plug on my Honda 2200. It's a NEMA L5-30.

My Honda 2000 only has the regular, extension cord, outlets.  Not had a problem powering with them, but if I had a twist lock on my generator would certainly use it. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

PS: make up a male-to-female that to go to your boatside inlet, do NOT make a male-to-male cord (called "a death cord") that energizes the boat thru a 15a receptacle.

Use 10ga flex cord (12ga is acceptable for a short length.)

@ Porch

120vac, 30a Shore power cords' form factor are indeed NEMA L5-30P (plug) and L5-30R (receptacle)    Not to be confused w/ L6-30 which is 30a 230vac.  Scamazon and Big box stores carry them if you need to make up a shorter cord.  But the non-Marinco brands (Leviton, Legrange, etc.) are brass not chrome prongs.

I have a short Marinco plug for my cable end in my Scamazon cart because the weather cover on the shore receptacle won't close over my "current" (ugghh) long Marinco plug end.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Porchhound

"120vac Shore power cords' form factor are indeed NEMA L5-30P (plug) and L5-30R (receptacle)"
Thanks. Trying to do this planning when the boat is currently 600 miles away is challenging! Looks like the shore power cord should plug directly into my 30 amp twist lock receptacle on the Honda.
Thanks

mark_53

I don't se why you just don't use your generator as if it was a shore power 30amp receptacle and plug your Marinco directly in.

Ron Hill

Porch : Rather than using my LONG 50ft shore power cord is why I went to the 6 ft long close dryer power cord!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Porchhound on October 08, 2022, 07:58:42 AM

should plug directly into my 30 amp twist lock receptacle on the Honda.

There's also a right-angle plug available if making up a cord and that fits the application better.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

I upgraded our shore power connection to a Smart Plug

Then purchased a second Smart Plug and made up a pigtail, about 10' long, to connect our Honda 2000 using a regular 30Amp shore end plug.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

Paul-
Why did you not just use your shore power cord with Smartplug plugged into the boat and the 30A twist end into the Honda? Or, with an adaptor on the 30A end that plugs into your Honda household plug outlet?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I normally run my Honda on the port side Helm seat or on the port side walkway.  My pigtail eliminates hauling out that Big / Heavy shore power cord in the cockpit -  just to get a some amps back in to the batteries!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI normally run my Honda on the port side Helm seat or on the port side walkway.  My pigtail eliminates hauling out that Big / Heavy shore power cord in the cockpit

That's also why I use the pigtail.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA