Inside teak cleaning/lightening

Previous topic - Next topic

rwilkinsii

My wife is wanting to lighten the teak inside the boat and we can't seem to find anything that doesn't require allot of water being used. has anyone done this or just suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

Mike Smith

Rich -

You can try a solution of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) on a small test area and see how it works. I have a couple of spots where a bleach solution dripped and it definitely lightened the teak. The commercial teak cleaners use a combination of trisodium phosphate and oxalic acid. I have read somewhere that oxalic acid is better than bleach for teak lightening. As far as oil or stain treatment of the interior teak goes, remember that any treatment aroma is going to be with you for a long time and may contribute to mal de mer.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

rwilkinsii

Mike: Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try when i have a full day of cleaning the Teak.

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

saltydog

Rich,

We had areas inside the boat (galley railings and inside the companion, down both sides), that were discolored for numerous reasons. We had the same concerns about all the water required for rinsing, as well as dripping the cleaner on areas below the teak that we wanted to clean.  What we ended up using was Starbrite Gel Formula Teak Cleaner Restorer, available from West Marine (item #126831 @ $10.99).  It is a very thick gel and goes on with a small paintbrush.  After letting it sit for several minutes we used a soft toothbrush to scrub the area, then wiped off the excess and began wiping the area with a wet sponge.  We had no dripping, didn't end up with water everywhere and the finished product is beautiful.  This cleaner does not raise the grain in the teak (unlike most teak cleaners), therefore no sanding is required in the end.  

Cindy Rinne