M25 eng photos...anything seem troublesome?

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

If you have time would you take a look at these broker-supplied photos and see if anything shows up as a serious issue? The actual survey is the 12th of this month and I'd like to get a jump on it by being better prepared. I see some corrosion and what looks like leaking above the starboard forward engine mount, but not sure if anything else is obvious to someone with experience. Thanks in advance.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

KWKloeber

Unfortunately, they are resized to way too low a resolution to see detail and any more than below.  You can post up to 1MB per photo, total 4 MB per post.  The forum software used to auto-resize pics but that's gone by the wayside.

It looks like she's been taken care of for an old boat.  I've seen a lot of engine abuse and she's far from that category.

The seawater pump needs attention but it's a typical maintenance item. 
it appears to be an Oberdorfer (GOOD) but has a strange cover.  Not the new flat style and not the OEM cast bronze cover (see pic.)
The OEM cast brass hose barb elbows are not approved for use and I would replace them.

She has replacement lube and fuel filters (NOT the original painted-over ones.)  A good sign.

The thermostat cap could be upgraded to add a high-temp-alarm switch.  Not a huge deal.

Looks like the alternator might have been upgraded. It's not OEM.  Appears to be running a Top Cog belt.  Good.

The crankcase breather has been rerouted to the air intake.  Good.  And a KN installed.

The temp gauge sender has "my patented ground bond wire" on it;   SMART P.O.

It appears that the crankcase coolant drain petcock has been replaced w/ a sender??  Maybe a high-temp switch?  I'd replace the petcock and move the switch to the thermostat cap where it is OEM.

Engine insulation and hoses look to be in great shape.  (no painted-over OEM hoses.)
Looks like it might have the seawater supply hose upsized to 3/4?  Hard to tell.
Same for hoses to the water heater look like 3/4/  What was he running, a JACUZZI?

Hard to see but the heat exchanger might have been relocated for easier access to tranny dipstick.  Good.

It appears she has the preheat solenoid (or relay) installed.  Can't tell if the harness has been upgraded and/or the Gummy Bear plugs removed at the engine end and behind the panel, but how well she'd been taken care of I'd be surprised if they were still in the harness.

I don't see an engine coolant overflow tank but it could be located somewhere else.  Not a big deal to add one.

Overall no show-stopper, looks well taken care of. 
Short of an unseen mechanical issue she looks solid (get an oil analysis done.)

Have no clue what the blue gizmo is?

MORE pics.  MORE detail.  Higher resolution!

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

which m25 is it? what year and hull is the boat?
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

1986; @hound posted 2x threads so theres a discontinuity in threading the needle.

m25 (not sure what you mean by which one?)
Not XP or XPA or XPA(C) if that's what you mean.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain