New buyer engine survey

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 04, 2022, 02:24:20 PM
Porch : Your first photo is baffling and most certainly NOT of a C34!!

A thought

Yes, it is. The starboard access door looks modified to reduce vibration.

Porchhound

SCGunner, the reported engine hours are 1800. Overall the boat looks to be in top notch shape for her years. Thanks for the feedback!

tvorgitch, I wouldn't have thought to look for that...thanks!
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

WTunnessen

RE: Exhaust riser and piping, you would need to remove the insulation on the exhaust piping in order to see if there is any significant signs of rust/corrosion.  However, unless there is really obvious corrosion, you might not notice anything.  If its black pipe and there is not a blue silicon hump hose attached to the fiberglass water muffler located in the access area in the head, then:  (1) you need a hump hose; (2) might consider replacing exhaust line.  Look for cracks on the water muffler.  If there is a blue hump hose, that is a good sign.

It looks like some of the hoses are newer, which is a good, especially the ones that run to the hot water heater.  But check all the hoses.

The engine mounts could be the original.

Knowing the engine hours is pretty basic but the tack could have been replaced. 

Check or ask about engine wire harness (Discussed critical upgrades).

Run the engine and take it for a sea trail to make sure it runs properly. Then check for leaks etc.

From the pictures, it looks like one of the PO maintained the engine pretty well. New sound proofing is suggests someone cared   Its an old engine and things will need to be fixed or replaced.  Its not a deal breaker but anyone buying a C34 from the '80's should be expect to fix and upgrade lots of things.   The good thing about C34 is this on-line community which has addressed most things with the boat.

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

scgunner

Porch,

With 1800hrs on the clock means you've still got a lot of hours left in that motor. Several years ago the hour meter on my tach stopped working so I installed a new meter in the nav station and made a note in the log so I still have an accurate record of the hours on the motor.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

... the hour meter on my tach stopped working so I installed a new meter in the nav station and made a note in the log so I still have an accurate record of the hours on the motor [engine ! ].

Just an fyi for anyone who installs a new tach, it's possible to advance the hour meter so that you keep it current.
Use a cheap, plug in, AC adapter (10 to 32v works) from Scamazon, etc., and hook to the Gnd and S terminal and that should advance it (you might need to put 12v dc to the tach.).
A Faria tech rep taught me that trick.  Of course you'd need to leave it on for 'x' hours that the tach reads.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Porch : From just looking at your pictures I'd say that you have a well maintained engine - because the hoses look to be recently replaced and that engine was pull out of the boat and completely repainted!!

You have the origin mounts which I'd replace (w/K75 Vetus).

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?