how do i get the plastic off for "https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11504.0.ht

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

hi, my boat was peeing yesterday and is not today.  i wanted to try to fix it myself but i can't figure out how to get the plastic cover off what i believe to be the river water intake with metal mesh filter.  i tried, with my hand so i don't break anything, twisting it left and right and straight off.  nothing.  it's plastic so i don't want to use channel locks on it.  what is the secret procedure so i can then see if my river water engine coolant intake is clogged and fix her peeing issue myself?  and i assume the pee, coming out of the engine, which i so dutifully look for each time i start up the engine, is river (or not coolant) water, correct? i could not find a drawing in the owner's manual for how all the hoses run, for coolant and river water.  is it there that i missed or can someone send it?

thanks

becki in detroit
hull 99 1986
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

Becki : I assume that you are talking about cooling water (pee?!?) that comes out of the transom exhaust port??  And you want to remove the raw water intake strainer under the head sink??? 

The strainer unscrews (counterclockwise) so FIRST turn off the thru hull and then unscrew that see thru strainer!! Once OFF, the strainer can be lifted out of the plastic see thru cup. Careful that you don't loose the square "O" ring gasket!! Then reinstall the strainer and reopen the thru hull.  If the strainer rapidly refills with water the thru hull is clear.  If not the thru hull is plugged.  Look at the many posts of how to clear a clogged thru hull!!

If the strainer is clear and thru hull unclogged, I suggest that you take off the face plate on the raw pump and inspect the impeller and while off just install a new impeller (if it been on awhile?) Look for any missing blades (first in the elbow of the OUT flow hose)

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on October 02, 2022, 11:59:29 AM

i could not find a drawing in the owner's manual for how all the hoses run, for coolant and river water.  is it there that ii missed or can someone send it?

Becki the diagram of the engine coolant flow/seawater flow is in the ENGINE Owners Manual.
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manuals

The diagram in the original Universal manual (if you have one) is incorrect and I had previously corrected and inserted the diagram into the manual on the wiki site above.

Definitely check the seawater pump and you can also pull the hose from the seawater pump outlet to the heat exchanger to see if the pump outlet is peeing.  It's possible she has a blockage inside the heat exchanger or where the seawater is injected into the exhaust, right above the muffler.  Any of those will have the same symptom of no peeing at the exhaust discharge.

Stu, Noah, Jon, David = can SOMEONE get the "manuals" link FIXED on the wiki main will page so that it points to
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manuals
????  It points to a non-existent will page: ( https://c34.org/nonWPWik/?title=Manuals )

It's, I think, the 5th time that I have raised this snafu that needs to be "adjusted" and I can't do it because it's a protected page.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

thank you, yes  peeing is how i was taught. it's the exhaust, port side transom.  where i keep my boat has had an issue with water movement so it's a forest of weeds and i'm sure they are all in my hoses.  i'll check when i'm back on wednesday.  I just couldn't get the plastic housing off

Jim Hardesty

Quotei wanted to try to fix it myself but i can't figure out how to get the plastic cover off what i believe to be the river water intake with metal mesh filter.  i tried, with my hand so i don't break anything, twisting it left and right and straight off.  nothing.  it's plastic so i don't want to use channel locks on it.

It just unscrews, normal righty tighty, lefty loosey.  If there's room, try a strap wrench on the plastic housing.   A strap wrench is a good addition to a toolbox, although, I would caution against using one on an oil or fuel filter, strap wrenches do tend to crush them.  A second idea is to use the channel locks with a pad to protect the plastic housing.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anaisdog

how do i figure out which impeller i need?  engine is listed, from my survey as a universal 3 cyclinder 324hp diesel marine engine freshwater cooled, model m 25 (no letter after that) but in reading the c34 wiki, it's probably an m25xp. i should have a spare on board anyway. defender.com had no idea and catalinadirect is closed right now.  its the original water pump too, which brand, does anyone know, would that be?  i can't get there until wednesday.

Stu, I think you have the identical set up?

anaisdog

thanks Ken, those drawings are great! without going to the boat, since i can't, is there a way of knowing if I have an m25 or an m25xp?  my survey says m25 but in looking at the year listings, it might be an xp.  catalina and catalina direct aren't answering their phones right now

KWKloeber

Great becki that they helped you.

Unfortunately knowing whether she has an m25 or m25xp doesn't help.  Different pumps (Sherwood brand and Oberdorfer brand) were both used on the m25 and m25xp engines.

I'd suspect you have an m25 based on the age (the boat, not yours!) but maybe Ron can answer that.

Do you remember whether the seawater pump has a round face w/ 3 screws heads on the backside (Sherwood G903)
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Pic1_Sherwood_908.jpg
Or a round face with 6 screw heads on the front (Sherwood M5)

or a square face (Oberdorfer thin flat cover or heavy cast cover? 
https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:4_Oberdorfer_installed_m35a.jpg
http://realitycheck.me/gallery/impeller/slides/universal%20m25%20sea%20water%20pump.jpg

You'll need a cover gasket (or rubber o-ring if it's a newer Oberdorfer but I doubt that it is.)

Any chance of having pics or getting pix of the pump then getting the impeller (I realize you're down and want to get her running asap.)

Even at that, there are different models of each pump brand that Universal installed, BUT luckily the different models use the same impeller.  If you can find the impellers locally, I'd buy one of each and return/exchange the one that isn't yours for another (spare) to keep aboard.   Be sure to buy genuine name brand Oberdorfer or Sherwood and not a knock off.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anaisdog

thanks Ken, i didn't open up the engine compartment but i will when i'm there wednesday and see.  thanks for the pictures of the pumps! and my mechanic is very happy that i'm trying to fix this myself. he wants to get people off his docket since he's so busy! 

Ron Hill

Becki : You probably have an M25 engine in you hull #99 C34.  It could have come with one of three different Raw Water Pumps.  An Oberdoffer (most likely) or a Sherwood or a Johnson.  If it is the original pump and it is an Oberdoffer that name is in raised letters on the square face plate (w/4 screws).

So check the engine and the strainer.  if you have a "Forest of Weeds" as you say - your thru hull is probably clogged?? and that is the problem??

Let us know what you find!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

thanks Ron, yes, as i said in the original post, i was trying to get the clear housing off to see the filter but couldn't.  i'll see what the thing is wednesday when i'm there.

KWKloeber

becki

Here's what the Sw M-5 looks like
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7X4AAOSwu0Bfa6Fc/s-l300.jpg

If you have the
    Older Ob pump (202M-16**) the impeller is part #6593; cover gasket #6599; mounting gasket #298485 or Kubota #15296-88130 (which is a better gasket.)
(**this is my GUESS of the pump installed)
    Newer Ob pump (N202M-16) the impeller is part #6593; cover o-ring #9797-034B; mounting gasket #298485.

If you have the Sw
    G-903 the impeller is part #9000K; cover gasket #12855; mounting gasket #302678.
    M-5 the impeller is part #10077K; cover gasket #12855; mounting gasket #298485 or Kubota #15296-88130.

I don't know if on the C34 you can see the stbd side of your engine but on the engine block (right above the on-engine fuel filter) the engine displacement is cast into the block. 
"855cc" is the M-25
"927cc" = M-25XP  See attached pic of my M25. 
If not send, pix of your engine and injector pump and fuel return hose to the fuel tank (it comes off either the front or the back of the engine.)
I can also tell from pix of your heat exchanger and bell housing whether she's an m25 or XP.

anaisdog

thanks!  i'll be there tomorrow and see what is up and take pictures and post them.  the amazing mechanic in the area is always pushing for people, esp women, to learn how to take care of everything on their boats so I'm up for the challenge.

KWKloeber

Well as long as you're up to it...  What I meant to add but forgot to, is that if the pump hasn't been touched since you've owned her, it would be good after pulling her for the season, to pull the pump and send it off for an inspection. 
With some expertise you can rebuild most of it but the carbon bearings, not. (presuming you have the Ob 202m pump.)

anaisdog

i know the impeller has been changed because the old one shatterd during a lesson, about 8 years ago.  i'll just write down and take pictures of everything

thanks