New C34 owner

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

hello
I just purchased a 1986 catalina 34. It was used to teach college students how to sail. all the cushions will have to be replaced, cabin sole will have to be remade, and all the trim needs to have a finish put on. I think the trim is the largest project, besides the bottom paint.
Does anyone have a list of what might have come standard on a new 34?
As I have never sailed I apologize ahead of time as my terms may not as a long term sailer
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Jim Hardesty

QuoteDoes anyone have a list of what might have come standard on a new 34?
As I have never sailed

Welcome,
Congratulations on your "new to you" boat.  You came to the right place for information.  Copies of the original sales brochures are here, that's a start. You should read the "Do this or Else". It's a lot to go through, just realize not all applies to all years.  If a survey was done on your boat it should include an equipment inventory and a list of recommended upgrades.  If not start making your own. 
To get better answers to your questions add information to your signature, see what others have done.
Hope you enjoy your Catalina as much as I have.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Holger Dieske

... congratulations on the new ship.

a lot of work (probably) but also a lot of fun.

Holger
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

Ron Hill

Dan : Congratulations on your purchase.  You'll get to love your C34!!!

Go to our "Critical Updates" on this web site and read in detail.  One really critical (1986 C34) item comes to may mind for you to check is the alternator on your engine (if you have the original M25 engine?).  Make sure that the adjust arm is under the bottom of the alternator(not over the top).  Easy to check.

There are all kind of improvement ideas on this message board & site so start reading!!   Good Luck and Welcome Aboard !!! :clap

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Congrats on your purchase!!  I too bought a teaching boat and know the general appearance issues you speak of.  I bought a steam cleaner and it has been VERY helpful to clean everything enough that I was happy to use it.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

Hmm I wish I could use a steam cleaner. Most of the faberic is just falling apart, I have to sweet talk my wife into making new ones. The biggest project is the wood work, It looks stained but there is no finish to any of it. Ive seen lots of videos on epoxy and then varnish Im not sure which to do.
Im still exploring the boat to see what it has, I think it a refrigerator because there is no drain in the box. There is also a unit directly under the kitchen sink which I think is the hot water.
Lots to do but its already getting into the low 40s here in michigan.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Stu Jackson

Quote from: melp64 on September 27, 2022, 04:23:28 AM

Does anyone have a list of what might have come standard on a new 34?

This tech wiki article has OEM price lists:

https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Evolution_of_the_Catalina_34
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."