Rust on Stanchion fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

I have been using a product from West Marine to clean the rust off the deck that forms from underneath my stanchion mounts when they get wet both at the dock from moisture in the air or when I'm on my mooring in Catalina after sailing over.  My frustration is that it comes back very quickly after I've cleaned it all off with the chemical.  Has anyone else had this problem and can tell me their remedy?  I am wondering about cleaning the deck really well and then applying a "caulking" compound around each base after the deck is really dry in hopes that the caulking will keep the water from getting under the mounts causing more rust to appear.  Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Chuck
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

mark_53

Have you tried rebedding the stantion butyl tape?

Jim Hardesty

Chuck,
Are you sure rust is from the stanchion base?  Think it's more likely coming from the life line, ie. the stainless wire under the vinyl and dripping down. Could try some wax after cleaning the rust.  Some have removed the vinyl coating, search the posts.  I use Barkeepers Friend when I have a rust stain to clean, the powder.  The liquid, looks like soft scrub, doesn't work for me.
Don't want to bring up worst case scenario butt if it is brown stain from the stanchion base it may be a wet/rotted core under the stanchion base.  If that's the case may be a big job to repair the core and rebed the stanchion. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Am I missing something unique to the stanchions on a C34? 
If so apologies.

If not - **everyone knows** that stanchion bases should be fully bed in a sealant. 
Many use butyl tape.  Many others use life caulk or similar.  Never caulk *around* stanchion bases.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Chuck : Get everything cleaned up and DRY, then spray some T9 "Boeshield on the stanchion mounts .  It is a waxy spray that is normally used on electrical fittings/connections.  Give it a try and see if that helps??

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Chuck.Philips

Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition