Clogged raw water intake...

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

So ladies and gents, I was leaving a small harbor after a nice 2 hour snack stop with some out of towners showing them how awesome boating is and quickly determined the intake thruhull was plugged.  Unfortunately, I had to re-anchor (without a windlass) to get the job done and use a flexible piece of wire to jab open the clog THROUGH the side access strainer... not cool!!

I have heard of other switching to the Vetus strainers that allow for a straight shot through the bottom to clear the thru hull and would love to see some photos of what you all have done.

Yes Ron, I know about your clam shell solution mounted with some gook and pucky so you can push it off if needed.  I like the idea, but will probably only consider that at my next haul out which isn't scheduled for any time soon.

Thanks in advance all.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Fitch

Hi Waughoo -

I've had this happen before and I just pulled the hose, spun off the filter and ran a big long #3 philips head through the open valve to clear the thru hull.  I think I had her back and running within a minute or two.  I keep a dowel near the thru hull now just in case it ever happens again.

Jim

ewengstrom

Our original (vintage 1988) strainer was cracked when we bought our boat in 2019 and I needed something quickly to get the boat thru the delivery. As it turns out I'm quite happy with this setup and have no plans to replace it.
I don't have any clear photos of our setup but would be happy to get one if you want it. The placement is pretty simple though, it's screwed directly to the wall of the engine compartment and I positioned the top of the strainer right at the boats water line so it's easy to access and clean out the basket. I do close the thru hull to do this but don't really have to.  I will say that there is a 1" to 1.5" offset of the hose where it connects from the bottom of the strainer to the seacock so a rigid dowel won't work to push out any debris, but it's a simple chore to loosen the clamps and remove the hose to get to the seacock to clean it out.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jon W

Hi Waughoo,
   I installed a Vetus raw water strainer for 5/8" hoses a few years ago. I think the part number from Vetus was VE FTR140/16. I mounted it at the water line, but should have mounted it 1-2 inches higher to better account for cruising weight. The strainer is screwed to a small block of wood I epoxied to the bulkhead under the head sink to move the strainer inlet hose inline with the seacock. To account for the sharp turns the outlet hose makes on its' way to the engine, I wrapped the output hose in 20 mil PVC tape for chafe protection and ran it thru a 90 degree conduit elbow to reduce any load on the plastic hose barb. I also use a tie wrap after the elbow to reduce any side loading. This strainer is a big improvement. It's now easy to see if anything is in the strainer basket, and it's very quick/simple to clear the inlet with a straight piece of something if there's a need.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : I like Jon's strainer, but as I've said before the small 3" bronze strainer that I installed on the outside of the hull over 25 years ago " Works Like a Champ!!!"  Never again have I had an engine clog  - it does not impede water flow to the engine and is maintenance FREE!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Quote from: Jon W on September 21, 2022, 11:33:57 AM
Hi Waughoo,
   I installed a Vetus raw water strainer for 5/8" hoses a few years ago. I think the part number from Vetus was VE FTR140/16.

Jon... that looks like a great set up.  I had not really been concerned with mounting my new one at the water line, but perhaps I should consider this.  Clearing the clog would likely end up being a pretty "non event" with the water finding its level at or below the strainer... hummm.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Ron's statement about the exterior strainer isn't far off base. I had one on my last boat and we had that boat for 14 years with zero issues with any clogs. My good friend with a slightly larger boat of the same manufacturer had an exterior strainer and never had any issues.
I'm not arguing with Rod but I just don't believe they are to be avoided at all cost.

On another note, another good friend was motoring out of Baltimore harbor on his Catalina 30 and the engine started to overheat so he went thru the usual procedure to find the problem.  Once he traced the issue to the water intake he removed the hose and to his surprise he found himself staring at a small fish that had been sucked into the thru hull (no strainer)....effectively blocking the water flow to the engine. There wasn't much left of the hapless little fellow but it made for a great story sitting in the cockpits that evening.

Strainers, no strainers....there are arguments for both. YBYC
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Guys : As Eric said "it's your choice" -- I've never had a problem!! 
Before the strainer I also sucked up a small fish - saw something in the strainer ??   Another time I also sucked in a jelly fish!! - that was a rubber gloves cleanup!! 

Then my Best Fish story was when an Osprey (middle of the Chesapeake) got tired of carrying a too heavy fish and dropped it on my boat!!  The talons had helped make it a bloody mess!!   :shock:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

I had the issue just today
I disconnected the hose at the top  and then took out the metal strainer and its cover but its not a straight shot and i could not unclog it. I tried a semi flexible wire. How do you use a screwdriver without taking off the strainer body itself?
Yes I opened the valve too
What am I doing incorrectly?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : Close the thru hull .  Then unscrew the strainer assembly off of the thru hull valve.  When you open the thru hull look for a gusher - if it is clear!!! or Nothing if it is clogged!!
If there is little or no water use a 3/8" wooden dowel or attach the foot pump for your inflatable - open the thru hull valve and POKE /PUMP to clear it open!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I had to use a flexible wire to go into the spot where the strainer goes and make it turn 90 degrees towards the thruhull and force it down.  It was not aimple which is why I started this thread.  I want to be able to do this repair in about 5 to 10 minutes by just opening the strainer top and having a reasonably straight shot thru the strainer to the skin fitting.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : If you have that bend and you do not want to unscrew the strainer assembly off from the thru hull - then take the 5/8" hose that goes to the engine off the top of the strainer assembly and use your inflatable foot pump and pressure the clog out!!!

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

removing the strainer assembly from the thru hull is what i am asking about. the entire assembly screws in? i did not want to do that and risk breaking it. The engine housing may be i the way of unscrewing it but I can try that. I assumed that it was connected to the thru hull with hose clamps but it does not sound that way.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022