Unstepping Mast on Catalina 34 MKii

Previous topic - Next topic

mjd123

Hi All,

Taking mast of our 2000 Catalina 34mkii for the first time. It's a deck stepped mast.  Are all the connections for mast mounted electronics (Wind and Lights) connected at the base of the mast at deck level?  Can't seem to find them anywhere else. 

Thanks,

Mike DePasquale

rob herron

Hi Mike,

I've got hull 1491, and all the connections are inside the cabin next to the top of the compression post.
Panacea # 1491
2000 MkII Std rig, wing.

KWKloeber

Quote from: mjd123 on August 30, 2022, 02:45:09 PM

Taking mast of our 2000 Catalina 34mkii for the first time. It's a deck stepped mast.  Are all the connections for mast mounted electronics (Wind and Lights) connected at the base of the mast at deck level?  Can't seem to find them anywhere else. 

Do it safely!!  Be sure to lay 4x4 or 6x6 blocks on the deck once the mast is raised while messing w/ wiring underneath it.  You can't replace a hand in-kind.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

robbjd

Our 1997 34 Mk ii has all of its' connections are on deck in the mast base. If you have a Raymarine wind instrument be prepared with a small screw driver as you may have to open a junction box and disconnect the 5 wires. VHF antenna cable, and wires for lights are easy to disconnect plugs.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Jim Hardesty

QuoteTaking mast of our 2000 Catalina 34mkii for the first time. It's a deck stepped mast.  Are all the connections for mast mounted electronics (Wind and Lights) connected at the base of the mast at deck level?

On Shamrock hull 1570 with roller furling main the connections are at the mast base.  There's a tube that's a few? inches high that the wires run in that's sealed at the top, does a good job keeping the water out.  I did some grinding on the area that drains water from the bottom of the mast, rain water and dirt would plug up the original, would drain water for days after a storm.   Now that it's oversized, no problems.
I second Ken about safety, I use a coat hanger or hemostat to pull the connectors clear.  Anything but hands and fingers under the mast.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Some put a tee or elbow atop the conduit stub to redirect the cables and prevent rainwater from traveling down the cables and conduit.  If the cables are long enough that's unnecessary because when the mast is down they'll naturally form drip loops.
If they are short or for belt/suspenders, stick a gob of "electrician's putty" (from a big box) in the conduit stub to seal around the cables.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

I put a tied down bucket over the mast step to keep the water and snow out.  Even under the winter cover.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

pbyrne

Quote from: mjd123 on August 30, 2022, 02:45:09 PM
Hi All,

Thanks,

Mike DePasquale

Might look like this.  I have the same year.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534