stuffing box hose

Previous topic - Next topic

rmjohns

I'm in the process of replacing the prop shaft and am replacing the original stuffing box hose. I ordered some of the Buck Algonguin 1 5/8 stuffing box hose, which is very thick walled compared to the old hose. I have a couple questions for you guys that have done this.
1) In taking off the old hose, there wasn't any room between the hose and the hull at the end.  The new hose has walls that are twice as thick so I can't imagine it's going to be able to slide all the way down the shaft log to the hull. Did others trim the hose? That seems like a bad idea, but I'm not sure how to clean out some fiberglass under there without damaging the fiberglass shaft log.
2) One of the jobs of the hose is to accommodate movement/vibration in the engine/drive train. Given the tight space in there, the old hose probably only had an inch or two that wasn't either around the stuffing box or around the fiberglass shaft log. I can't imagine the new hose is going to flex much at all, which would have to put stress on the fiberglass shaft log.  I could maybe make the hose a little longer, but not enough to make much difference.  Maybe the new hose is more flexible than it seems, but it seems pretty stiff.

I appreciate it's bad to have a thin wall hose tear away but it seems like it would be worse to have the shaft log tear away. 

Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

KWKloeber

Us C30-ers can use a Dremel to relieve a titch of the hull and mung under the log to allow enough space to receive the hose.  I can't say how much mung/etc. is under the log on the C34 or yours in particular.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Fitch

Rmjohns - I replaced mine about 3 years ago when I replaced the transmission and I don't remember losing that much depth on the shaft log.  I'm pretty sure I didn't grind any fiberglass, maybe I trimmed a little on the bottom of the aft part of the hose but just at the edge.

I replaced the cutlass, shaft and engine mounts all as part of the same project so I did some major alignment adjustments at the time so I wasn't overly concerned about stress on the shaft log.  The transmission flange and cutlass hold the shaft in place, I'm not sure how much motion the hose sees from torque causing shaft movement. Anyhow, nothing has fallen off yet.

When you do your alignment, you do want to make sure the shaft at least looks centered in the log when viewed from under the hull. I thought I had pictures but I couldn't find them.

Jim

rmjohns

Thanks for the feedback guys..
I like the dremel tool idea. I can't imagine I need much space, but I have a fear of gouging the shaft log. I think I'll get some sheet metal and bend it around the log just in case the dremel goes wild.

Jim, sounds like your job was slightly bigger than mine in that you did the motor mounts. I'll end up with a new prop, prop shaft, cutlass bearing and I'm going to try one of the Federal flexible shaft couplings. Good to hear nothing has fallen off yet.

Prior to this work, there was quite a bit of wobble in my propeller shaft. Hopefully all this smooths that out and my concerns about stress on the log are for naught.

Thanks
Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC