Leaking dog

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Cool Change is back from the North Channel.  Wonderful weather and good sailing.  However, I encounter a minor problem.  On Lake Michigan I had a very rough sail(weather man said N winds 10 to 15, waves 2 to 3'. Perfect!)  Winds became 25 to 35 and waves 6'.  I had reduced sail but occasionally a wave swept over the boat. Checked for leaks and the dog on the front hatch, left side was dripping water.  I placed plastic under the hatch.
Can you take these apart and rebuild?  Should I look for a new handle?  Leave it alone and wait for a heavy rain?
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

Paul,
Welcome back, just got back myself.  :cry4`.  Had a great trip. 
I've had leaks like that before and just tightened the screws a little, Phillips I think.  That's worked so far. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Looked for you in the NC.  Sorry we missed each other.  North Channel is big.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jon W

The dogs on a Bomar trapezoidal hatch can be taken apart. If tightening the screw doesn't help, you can take it apart and replace the o-ring. You can also replace the mushroom cap if it's badly damaged from UV.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Paul : As Jon said "take it apart and replace the 'O' ring" !!! 

It's probably the same 'O' ring (metric!!) that Lewmar installed just before 1989 (over 33 years ago!!)  :shock:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

karista

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 26, 2022, 01:26:15 PM
Paul : As Jon said "take it apart and replace the 'O' ring" !!! 

It's probably the same 'O' ring (metric!!) that Lewmar installed just before 1989 (over 33 years ago!!)  :shock:

A thought

Ron, would you know the O ring size? I have a leak there and the O-ring was totally flat so could not measure its size. I know they are a  Metric size. CD has a rebuild kit for this dog but it is basically is only a collection of various O ring sizes for different Lewmar dogs.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stu Jackson

Bernd, there's no guarantee that someone else's O ring size will be what you need.  They are not expensive.  Buy a few different ones, keep the receipt and return those you don't use.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Benrd : Go to an auto parts store - they'll have a box of assorted METRIC "O" rings.  i don't remember the exact size!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : Another source for metric "O" rings and bolts is a foreign auto dealer parts dept. (also if you have a Fastenal store nearby)

Besides Lewmar (hatches) anything for Kubota (engine) is also metric.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788